• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I hate, I hate, I hate - Hanna PO4 checker

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
OK Sunny. I'm just going by how mine works and according to what the directions say. Not trying to argue with you, just making absolutely sure you have all the facts before you scrap a $50 purchase, lol. If you keep getting a reading of S.Lo then something is obviously wrong because that's not even one of the standard error messages shown on the manual.

As with every product on the market, there will always be some defects that make their way to the consumer. Mine works perfectly fine too and I get almost identical readings if I do it a few times in a row as well (within .02 difference between tests, which I think is acceptable.)

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
OK Sunny. I'm just going by how mine works and according to what the directions say. Not trying to argue with you, just making absolutely sure you have all the facts before you scrap a $50 purchase, lol. If you keep getting a reading of S.Lo then something is obviously wrong because that's not even one of the standard error messages shown on the manual.

As with every product on the market, there will always be some defects that make their way to the consumer. Mine works perfectly fine too and I get almost identical readings if I do it a few times in a row as well (within .02 difference between tests, which I think is acceptable.)

George

I know you are not arguing with me and I know you are trying to help. My apologies if I sounded as if I was arguing with anyone.
However, are you suggesting that I try another one of these paper weights as a replacement ? :p :)

Sunny

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm not suggesting you buy another one. Maybe if the store you bought it from would replace it, then try that one before giving up?

I just know a digital display reading of a test is a million times easier to read than a color strip match test.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I'm not suggesting you buy another one. Maybe if the store you bought it from would replace it, then try that one before giving up?

I just know a digital display reading of a test is a million times easier to read than a color strip match test.

I got it from Ao yesterday and got a replacement today. I am just not in a mood to test tonight so will try tomorrow :)

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I thought you weren't supposed to do that. doesn't the little light inside measure different because if one glass has a scratch in it and the other doesn't you'll get a bad reading.
I also read this somewhere....Maybe on the original hanna checker instructions before the little ones came out

got a replacement today. I am just not in a mood to test tonight so will try tomorrow :)
Can't blame you, Good luck tomorrow! LOL keep that BP down tonight!

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I did an out of cycle W/C tonight. Just trying to avoid a pill and keep things under control.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
So I got a replacement from AO last night. I added the battery this AM and to my surprise it seemed to work :eek:

So I did the test with two vials and the whole 3 minute timer thing. Well it says that my phosphates are at 0.00. Hmm , sounds too good to be true. I repeated the test two more times and same result. I have cyano and I had no means of removing phosphates till 24 hrs ago when I added NextReef MR1 reactor with 125 ml rowaphos in it.

So what are we saying here? All the phosphate is used and that is why it shows 0? Or the rowaphos actually removed all P04 in one day??

I had P04 I know because I check nitrates regularly. I have 0 Nitrates and 0 Phosphates but still have cyano..

Hmm.

Thoughts?

Sunny

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Have you tried any new foods lately? Some foods will contain phosphates.

It's possible that the rowaphos has absorbed a good bit of it in that short of time, but not sure if it would remove it all in that short of time.

Can you try siphoning out all the cyano and see if it comes back? It's possible that the little traces still left in there are just being consumed by the cyano and there isn't enough to be detected in the water column.

PS, glad you had the patience to give the hanna checker another shot... and even happier that this one works!

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
No new food. Technically everything is new food since I was fallow for about 8 months. I only started feeding 2 - 3 times a day for past 6 weeks or so.
The amount of cyano I am seeing was enough to make me invest into a reactor and the Hanna checker. That goes to say that I have a good amount that cannot grow without PO4 and NO3. If I stripped the water of PO4 in 24 hours my corals would hate it so I know it is still there.

It is just the matter of fact if I trust the reading or not.

Anyone close to me have a meter they can bring over and we can compare?

Sunny

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
+1 I was doing the same thing not holding the button down for the 3 min timer. If you want I could swing by with mine and we can do a side by side comparison to see if they are the same..

Mike

If you can swing by with your meter LMK.

Sunny

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Where are you located. Im in old bridge

its going to read zero. the canyo and your fuge is "masking" the po4 in the system because it is using it. false reading of zero is common.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
its going to read zero. the canyo and your fuge is "masking" the po4 in the system because it is using it. false reading of zero is common.

So what is the point of testing then? Why are these testing kits and checkers sold? :)

arvin

NJRC Member
So what is the point of testing then? Why are these testing kits and checkers sold? :)

I know it sounds funny but that is what most people believe apparently. The algae supposedly feeding on po4 so not much PO4 left in the water that a testing kit can detect.

I have had the same problem with the phospate checker when I bought it nearly a year and half ago. Like others have mentioned, you need to be careful that the vial is superclean (no haze, fingerprints etc). Also you are not supposed to shake the vial too vigorously. If you do, then it leaves bubbles which screws up the reading. Once I got the hang of it, I was very happy with the results. Always provided a consistent reading.

Until a week ago that is. After the evil biatch sandy wiped out my entire sps population, i tested my phosphate and it showed a 1.9. I treated the tank with Phosphate Rx and now the Hanna says L.Hi. I tried like five times and it keeps saying L.Hi. I gave up on the checker for the time being.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I forget who mentioned this on this forum... But like Arvin mentioned, just use your eyes for the Phos check. It will exist and be consumed by your cheato or whatever Algae you can see growing. I stopped testing. Once i see my glass getting a slight dusting i know its time to trim and change the Phos media.....