• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I lost 2 Tiger Conchs last week

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have one left should I be getting it algae to feed?

I am also worried about a snail I have. It looks like a cone snail. I bought it at absolutely fish and they said it might kill my other snails, but it was pretty so I threw it in. I am usually really good about researching things I introduce, but really did think a snail could be a threat. Lesson learned

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This isn't a picture if my snail which stays under the sand. I got it to stir the sand. This is what it looks like, and I found this picture on Wikipedia.

Attachments

• Cone snail.PNG
    Cone snail.PNG
    56.2 KB · Views: 4

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What else do you have in the tank that might find snails delicious.....wrasses to mention one...or maybe a rogue crab. Also, maybe something nasty, like eunicid or polyclad worms.

As far as the cone snail.....aren't those things poisonous to humans?

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What else do you have in the tank that might find snails delicious.....wrasses to mention one...or maybe a rogue crab. Also, maybe something nasty, like eunicid or polyclad worms.

As far as the cone snail.....aren't those things poisonous to humans?
I think on cone snail some are more poisonous then others (lesson learned on research first)

I will look up eunicid and polyclad

I recently added a nice size emerald crab, but I think I had one die prior. I need to try and remember timing.

Other than the emerald known tank inhabitants:
1 Sacrlet leg Hermit (small)
1 black leg Hermit (small but bigger than red)
1 Candy pistol Shrimp (suspected dead - haven't heard the snap in awhile)
1 Fire Shrimp
5-6 various Banded Trochus Snails and Turbo Snail
1- suspected Cone snail
2- cerith snails
2- clown ocy clowns (1 is misbared might be perc)
1- Royal Gramma

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't have first hand experience, but I'd also be looking at that fire shrimp. Maybe someone else can throw in their two cents, who has experience.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I never had any cone snail but I have a fire shrimp and he is outstanding in my tank. Doesn't bug anyone (but fish when he cleaning them). I personally would look at your hermit. My hermits have killed many of my snails for their shells.

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hermits haven't changed shells in a long time. I actually bought some empties to hopefully guide them down the non-murderous path. that said I am not sure what they decided.

Tank size? Sand-yes or no? Depth? Age of system? The shell you posted above is likely a conch of some sort. They eat a LOT, and need a very large area to feed through.

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Tank size? Sand-yes or no? Depth? Age of system? The shell you posted above is likely a conch of some sort. They eat a LOT, and need a very large area to feed through.
36 total gallons- 3ft by 1 ft of tank floor with lots of rock, abut 1-2 inch sand bed. That is were the starving fear comes in. What can I feed them?