• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I might be loosing the whole tank tonight

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I just went into the fish room to feed and saw the corals po'ed and the wrasse and two tangs on the bottom of the tank, and the clowns acting real funny.

The only thing I could see is that my ATO crapped out and pumped maybe three gallons of water into a total of maybe 110 -120 gallons. Salinity has dropped to 1.025 from 1.026. Otherwise, I have no idea what's going on. Looks like a long night. I don't know what's going on, and I'm pulling my hair out!!!

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Sorry to hear. I've run salinity changes more drastic with no concerns. As Sunny said, heaters? Manually check with a termometer if you can (i do manual checks with my bbq thermo). Did dosers overrun? Something broken or shorted causing elec current? Did cuke die? I had a cuke die and had 12 hours of lethargy from the rest of the tank. Did you recently add carbon or chems that may deplete oxygen? Recent water change that may have been contaminated?
Just throwing thoughts out.
I'd assume dead cuke and do water change and drop in some carbon.

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Not looking good.

Just changed out the carbon....three cups.

Any fish I could see is on the sandbed....and it's odd the wrasse hasn't buried itself....lights are out.

I'm at a total lose!

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Paul that sucks. Hopefully things turn around for you. Beside what was said above maybe check your power heads and/or other magnetic stuff to see if they are breaking down. I also assume you checked you levels

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Russell, thanks for the offer, but I'm good with reactors and carbon.

Anthony, that's my guess as well....The cuc nuked the tank. The only two fish I can see are the clowns...that are still alive. The Tangs are dead and suspect everyone else is as well.....don't see them. I'll wait until lights are on to start pulling them out.

I changed out the carbon last night....maybe I'll do that again this morning. In a couple hours I have another 50 gallons of new saltwater to change out as well.

I'm in the dumps, to say the least.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Paul sorry to hear. Yours is one of the long running successful tank out there. I recall you had a call overdose so this maybe triggered by that. I have a couple of 20g tanks if you need to hold the survivors while you clean out the tank. We'll help you restock when you're ready. I would clean all the sand out of the tank and restart.