• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I need advice on our new lights

We recently upgraded from a cheaper "reef ready" L.E.D light bar that came with our new tank setup (bought used). Were running 2 Kessil A80 Blue Tuna lights on the flexible arm mounts withe controller. The tank is a 65 gallon tank with a 12 or 15 gallon sump. I'm trying to dial the lights in on a schedule for duration and light strength for optimal coral growth. We are currently running two pre-programmed maps in the controller. So I guess my question would be what maps or schedules do you guys run or what should I run in your opinion. And second question is, are two kessil a80 blue tunas sufficient for my tank set up. For reference the 3 pieces of coral we currently have appear to be doing awesome, there is a small rasta zoa colony, a dual headed Duncan and a soft leather duster coral of unknown variety. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you guys in advance.

We recently upgraded from a cheaper "reef ready" L.E.D light bar that came with our new tank setup (bought used). Were running 2 Kessil A80 Blue Tuna lights on the flexible arm mounts withe controller. The tank is a 65 gallon tank with a 12 or 15 gallon sump. I'm trying to dial the lights in on a schedule for duration and light strength for optimal coral growth. We are currently running two pre-programmed maps in the controller. So I guess my question would be what maps or schedules do you guys run or what should I run in your opinion. And second question is, are two kessil a80 blue tunas sufficient for my tank set up. For reference the 3 pieces of coral we currently have appear to be doing awesome, there is a small rasta zoa colony, a dual headed Duncan and a soft leather duster coral of unknown variety. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you guys in advance.
A80s in my honest opinion are under powered for a 65g tank. If you are running a similar dimension to what I have I run 2 x hydra 32s over it in comparison. While wattage does not mean anything its still a80 at 15w each vs hydra 32s at 90w each.

This is a comparison of a hydra 32 vs kessil a160 which is a 40w light.
Screenshot_20240123_173701_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240123_173712_Chrome.jpg

I used to have one myself when I had my first 35g saltwater tank years ago and it kept some coral alive but nothing was really growing or happy really.
I got the best results when getting the radions, I still use them although a different generation.

Rueric

NJRC Member
There is an app on iPhone called "Photone", there is a $5 module that helps you read full spectrum par. Ziplock your phone, dunk the phone and get some par readings