• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

i need feeding advice please

I have a 65g fowlr tank . My fish list is :
- ocellaris clown
-pearly jawfish
-diamond watchman Goby
-royal gramma

Currently I feed them mysis shrimp once a day. On Tuesdays Thursdays and Saturday s I soak the mysis in selcon. I would like to vary what I feed them..any suggestions? I tried flakes/pellets but only the clown eats them. Also should I feed 2 times a day? If so I would have to get an autofeeder and hope they get used to pellets.

I have a 65g fowlr tank . My fish list is :
- ocellaris clown
-pearly jawfish
-diamond watchman Goby
-royal gramma

Currently I feed them mysis shrimp once a day. On Tuesdays Thursdays and Saturday s I soak the mysis in selcon. I would like to vary what I feed them..any suggestions? I tried flakes/pellets but only the clown eats them. Also should I feed 2 times a day? If so I would have to get an autofeeder and hope they get used to pellets.

I feed once a day starting with Spectrum pellets, and then after a good rinsing, a combination of PE and Hikari mysis. The only fish that don't eat the pellets is the bs leopard wrasse and banggi cardinal. I also have a good population of amphipods that are picked on throughout the day, mostly by the wrasse.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I personally like Rod's Food, it has mysis and a ton of other things in it. KB Pet Products (a sponsor) also has several great frozen foods that are blends of many things. I also try and mix in live black worms and live brine. Yes my fish eat better than I do.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My fish get a small dose of flake food via an autofeeder 2x per day. I got in on a group buy with the club a while ago and we bought some high quality flake food from Here which was a custom blend based on the saltwater flake with garlic and extras added in.

Then, every night I feed either live blackworms or some frozen mysis/brine shrimp (usually a mixture of both frozen shrimps). I also substitute in some Rod's omnivore blend at least one night a week to give a variety too. I find that they much prefer the live blackworms over the frozen foods though. Some fish don't even bother eating the frozen sometimes.

My fish are spoiled too. ;)

howze01

NJRC Member
You would be best off with the reef formula for Rods. Most of your fish are small enoughthat they will eat up the bigger pieces. Some of it is even too big for most of my fish.

I like the KB pet product too the full spectrum blend is fantastic(or so the fish think)I also mix in some flake food and diced garlic and also fish roe.All the fish are fat and healthy.

howze01

NJRC Member
Which reminds me. I got the Rods fish eggs and my fish go CRAZY for them. They're much bigger than the Nutramar Ova eggs too so my SunCorals love them too. All my corals eat them too. They're nuclear orange but I could care less as long as the fishies like them.

ok what is this kb pet product and where can you get it? i checked their website but there's nothing there.

lennyd - fwiw all the jawfish are wild caught so they have a "weaning" phase to to speak where they need to figure out that the pellets is food. My jawfish kinda figures it out when he sees all the other fish going crazy for the pellets but it does take time. I've gotten 3 jawfish to figure it out so just give it time. PE mysis is sure to keep them content - but if you want to skip a day and then drop a few pellets in front of their burrow - that may work.

I know a lot people swear by frozen food but I personally prefer to mix in some dry pellets/cyclopeeze - if only to make life easier for my sitter when i'm away on vacation.

Another thought would be to make your own seafood blend. Something like shrimp, oysters, clams, squid, blend - then add in 1 tsp spirullina, cyclopeeze, mix, and then place in flat zip lock bags and freeze it. Break off pieces as needed.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I know Greg at Reef 2 reptiles carries KB, I am not sure who else. You can probably ask in their forum.

Thanks mnat and shipwrecked, we appreciate the good words.

With your livestock, i would recommend the full spectrum. Its full of fresh clam, zooplankton, seaweed, krill, and mussel. Its mainly a meaty food with some seaweed thrown in. Fish will go crazy for it and what ever floats away will be eaten by your inverts, dusters and anemones.
We also have other formulas for community tanks. You can try our Formula A, Reef Mix, or Algae Plus. Our Reef and Full Spectrum are compared to Rod's (we lke to think its better). The Reef food is packed with all kinds of meats. It contains clam, scallops, mysis, zoo, brine, oyster eggs, baby clams, fish eggs, squid and oysters. Im sure i missed an ingredient or two....

As far as feeding your fish, I personally feed twice a day. I'll feed once in the afternoon and once when my halides go off. I recommend feeding a cube or two at a time. Let your fish eat whats in tank then add another cube or two. Now this is just me, I have tangs that about 6-7 inches and clowns that are huge( and they so much, they are dominate fish in my tank). So feeding amount should reflect the size of your fish. We would love it you feed them a ton but we know thats not how its done. Start off with a cube and go from there. Also my afternoon feeding is like a snack. I just give then two cubes and really feed them at night. Also, fish like a variety, mix it up a little.
Our foods are all natural with no additives. We do use a binder on most, but never any perservatives or added chemicals.
Im not sure exactly of all the stores in Jersey we are available in. (I make the food, my business Kev partner sells it and delivers.
Hers a few off the top of head
Reef to Reptile
Captivating Corals
Ocean Aquarium
Precious Pets ( each store has a few items)
New world
Pet Place
Im sorry to the store i left off, Im drawing a blank here. I know we sell to about a dozen maintenance company's as well. We will be be in some more stores in the coming weeks. If we are not in your favorite store, let us know or ask them to carry us.
Thanks alot, any questions, just ask, B

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Hers a few off the top of head
Reef to Reptile
Captivating Corals
Ocean Aquarium
Precious Pets ( each store has a few items)
New world
Pet Place
Im sorry to the store i left off, Im drawing a blank here. I know we sell to about a dozen maintenance company's as well. We will be be in some more stores in the coming weeks. If we are not in your favorite store, let us know or ask them to carry us.
Thanks alot, any questions, just ask, B
...sorry to hyjack...
Does any of your product make it's way south to say Alquatics in Trenton/Hamilton or the Hidden Reef in PA

We have been trying get back into those stores. Not everybody wants to carry us thou. If I havent mentioned it before, our foods use to be "Olsens Frozen Fishfoods" and were sold in both stores. If you ask for it there, maybe they will carry again.
The Fish Factory has some of our foods there. Also the presious pets in burlington.
I will get the list of stores we are in and post soon. Thanks B

howze01

NJRC Member
I'd like to give the KB products a better chance. The ones we got at the meeting didn't fare too well with the trip to Feng's afterward.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I would forget the Selcon on the mysis, it will just wash off the mysis as soon as it hits the water and it is expensive and doing no good the way you are using it. It just falls off wet foods. If you want to feed Selcon, soak some dry pellets in it. I soak pellets in fish oil (the same type I myself take) I feed this every day aven to the LPS corals. Besides this I feed live black worms, fresh clams and frozen mysis every day. This, especially the worms keeps my fish spawning and disease free, some for 18 years. I never tried Rods food but from what I hear it is pretty good.