• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I need fish suggestions please!

So I have a 65g FOWLR. My current fish list is:

- Ocellaris Clown
- Pearly Jawfish
- Diamond Watchman Goby
- Royal Gramma Basslet

Inverts
- Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
- 4 Trochus Snails
- 5 dwarf blue legged hermits

Ine the future, I plan to add a dozen or so cerith snails, maybe more, and a Blood Red Fire shrimp. Anyway, I am looking for a fish to add next. I know I want to add a Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel in very last but I'm stuck with my next fish, which will be the last before the Coral Beauty. I originally wanted a Cardinalfish (PJ), but read that they should be kept in schools, next I wanted a yellow wrasse, but heard they could be trouble with inverts, particularly my shrimp. So I guess now I am stuck, because I am looking for a fish that really uses the water column, but a nice looking fish, either red or Yellow. Any suggestions?

I had a yellow wrasse for yrs in my reef, perfect citizen. Hit or miss i guess. I think the chances are better if u get them small. For something that uses the water column, get 2 red anthias.

i have heard mixed stories about the yellow wrasse, not sure if I want to take the chance of it eating my shrimp or not.

most places recommend a 70-75 gallon tank as the minimum so it may be a little tight.

maybe a tomini tang 3ould be another option, pretty much the smallest tang out there. Recommendations for tank size range anywhere from 50 -75.

How about a pistol shrimp for the gob? What about a Flame Angel instead of the Coral Beauty? A group of 5/6 Chromis.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
You might want to pair up the clown, it is pretty easy to do and they really do better in pairs. A dwarf angel would be a good call as well, coral beauties and flames are pretty similiar as far as aggression goes. Every fish can be a bit different so it really is going to depend on the one you get. Look at flasher wrasses, they are beautiful fish, fit in that size tank and won't pick off your clean up crew.

Wrasses will eat some inverts if given the chance .. I am pretty sure my mystery wrasses has eaten all my hermit crabs, not that there is anything wrong with that. I have a single Bangaii cardinal very healthy. You don't have to have them in pairs...but I think at the same time you could get away with a pair of them given what you have in the tank. I would go with another clown, pair of cardinals, and the coral beauty.

+1 to what James saix.
Trop had a pair of juvinile tank raised bangaiis cardinals and a whole bunch of pajama cardinals on Friday.
If you choose, you could also add some small gobies (I personally like yasha gobies and cleaners).

Thanks for all the input. I heard that pairing clowns could become something bad because eventually the female will turn aggressive towards other fish so thats why I didn't want to mess with adding another clown. I would like to get one of the cardinals though, specifically the bangaii so maybe i'l go down to trop this weekendand see if they can get one in for me if they dont have one in already.

Pairing them is pretty easy just make sure you get the smallest healthy one you can find.
I got my lil male from Hawkeye and even though my female is much bigger they took to each other after a day or so.
The way they interact is worth it IMHO.

Yea, I really looked into getting a pair, but I just read stories of them possibly becoming more aggressive then the norm. So that's why I decided to just keep 1. I may go with the banggai cardinal. They were on my original fish list but I was under the impression they were more happy in schools but if people have them succesfully in singles then that makes me feel better. I called trop and they said they will get aroud 8 in on thursday. So I may have to take a trip on thursday so you all dont buy them out!haha