• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I think my MP40 dry-side bearings are shot...

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Is there any way to repair a dry-side unit if the bearings are shot? After my latest wet side cleaning the bearing rattle got quite bad. I clean my wet sides one at a time overnight in a vinegar bath. Always leaving flow on the right side so the wet sides rotate with each cleaning. (Take off left side, clean and use cleaned to swap out right side. The. That one soaks a night and it goes over to the left side - the left was offline for 2-3 days) There was a rattle to the left side so that was the one I'd shut down for cleanings. This time the rattle was quite bad after, no matter how carefully I dialed in the line-up. I guess it was out of balance with that wet side so it must have made it worse. I had it running, loud but running last night after I set everything back up. The next morning the dryside wasn't working. The controller was flashing and I took it off and tried to restart. The magnet would struggle to make 1 or 2 labored revolutions and the controller starts to flash. I hate that the tank's running without the flow on that side -- any advice on how to repair would be appreciated.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There's a way to replace the bearing on the dry side, but i'm not sure how to do it. I saw an article i think at reefcental but if you google it it should give you instructions along with where to get and what type of bearing you need. I think the bearing was like 6 bucks.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Thanks guys, I looked at a few threads last night after I posted but there seemed to be some confusion. I posted the question on the eco tech page on RC - maybe they'll respond.

Paul (red fish blue fish) has done this.
Thanks - I saw something on RC but I think he did an MP10. It was also a technical discussion re the types of bearings and the ones I'm finding are in packs of 10. I also assume the sizes would be different between the 10s and the 20/40s. There are two bearings of different sizes and discussions of bearing presses and prop balancers which made what I hoped would be a simple process really complicated.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
HERE is the link of my experience in changing out the bearings in an MP10. It is the same procedure, but just different bearings. The most difficult part is picking the right bearings. I re-read the RC post maybe 5 or 6 times, making a chart of the bearings, and experiences, and still, the ones I picked still made a little noise when first installed. After a couple weeks they quieted down, and I was happy.

I actually think the MP40 would be easier...being a bit larger than the MP10. My link above also links the RC link....and I'd suggest reading that to decide on bearings. Also take a look at the two links I have that show the videos....that helps two. I remember many of the MP40 folks had success with the least expensive ebay bearings.

It's actually a fairly easy fix, and once you do it once, you're an expert! :eek:

Hope this helps. If I can be of any assistance, let me know.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
It's actually a fairly easy fix, and once you do it once, you're an expert! :eek:

Hope this helps. If I can be of any assistance, let me know.
Thanks Paul. Once again my hero with all things DIY. I actually stayed up WAY too late reading that last night on RC. I guess sealed bearings are the way to go. I'll go back and double check the sizes. I also found a couple videos on YouTube thus morning. Fingers crossed...

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Sad day. Dry side -1. Dave -0

I guess I should have tried replacing a single bearing. The first one I uncovered was so shot it came off in the cooling cover. I bet that was the failure. I just thought I should replace both once I had it apart. The other one, not so easy. I struggled and fought trying to get it off and cracked the magnetic sleeve on the rotor in the process. I don't believe there's any repair for that and I doubt ecotech would sell me a replacement rotor. I wouldn't have a clue how to order one. Anyone have small electric motor experience that could walk me through figuring out how to order - assuming it's even an off the shelf part? Otherwise I guess I'll be searching the dry goods sale page b/c there's no budget for a new dry side :-( ...at least as long as I better half remains laid off....