• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I would love to know if this is reef safe

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks interesting. I wouldn't use it for anything inside the tank though since it says abrasion can remove the coating.

High flow salt water and all the critters in our tanks would probably wear that off pretty quickly.

Might be good for coating the inside of stands and canopies though.

My company has actually been looking to get a drum of this to play with. If we get it, i'll definitely be taking some samples home & trying the inside of the canopy lol.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'd be curious about the price. A company I worked for made a slip coating for the bottom of boats. Cost us a few dollars to make and we sold it for $160/gallon.

I'd be curious about the price. A company I worked for made a slip coating for the bottom of boats. Cost us a few dollars to make and we sold it for $160/gallon.

2x 55gal drums(need top coat & bottom coat) is being quoted for us at just over $20,000. That will cover just about 9,000 sq. ft of material. so it's ~$45.00/sq ft

edit: this price is was from a glance I got at the offer. it could have been 30,000 lol but it's definitely in that range. so at 160$/gal would be a steal.

I ordered a $50 power strip in the group buy that sounded suspiciously like it had been treated with this kind of stuff.

This seems like a souped-up version of Rain-X. I wonder if dipping the impellers on pumps would have any effect. Maybe coating the outer pump covers would help reduce algal buildup? It would seem like a practical product, but I have to question some of their demonstrations vs claims. In the demos, they show the product repelling paint and oil, yet in the FAQ's it says:

"2. Can Ultra-Ever Dry be used to prevent graffiti?
Answer: Surfaces coated with Ultra-Ever Dry will not prevent oil-based paints from being applied. It has been shown to be somewhat effective with water-based paints however the majority of spray paints are oil-based."

In a way, the answers to the FAQ are contradicting their demos and claims of repelling paint and oil. The application to clothing has it's upside, but I wonder with all the bending, flexing and wrinkling (ie bending and flexing with the boots) will that greatly affect the functionality of the product? I know over time, it will, but will I have to re-apply the product after 2 months, 6 months or once a year? It would be nice if they sold this in spray cans, for home/personal use.