• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ice fire echinata - am I bleaching it?

horseplay

NJRC Member
I bought a small colony and notice the color change after placing it close to the top of tank. Note that these are not my pictures, just I found to best represent the color.

When it came in it's purple/red on the base and blue on the tip.

DSC05290.jpg

Now after two weeks part of the coral has turned light blue and the tip remain blue.

auctioned_icefireechinata_seed.jpg

I am a little concerned that I have the "Purple" species of ice fire and bleaching it. Can someone familiar with this help clarify this for me?

I may be wrong and a picture of actual coral (yours) can help, but ice fire echinata has blue tips with a white under base.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
True icefire echinata has that white base. Is it losing the blue at all?

horseplay

NJRC Member
Here's my best shot. The white balance is off. In real life the contrast between the rock and coral is stronger. The tip is still quite blue. You can see the center of the coral is still purple. Maybe slightly lighter than what it was. But the end of each branch starting to turn white. But the tip is still blue.

The coral was completely purple when I got it and the tips were slightly blue.

The PE is very good.

Do I have the real icefire?

P9206386.JPG

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
That looks pretty good to me, given the picture. Lighting will generally change the appearance of SPS so keep an eye on it and enjoy it.

Lots of flow is good. I had a hawkings echinata that for to be the size of an orange. Some of the most amazing blue I've seen.

I would love a frag of this if you ever frag it shoot me a PM...
Looks good to me. If you notice it getting to white try lowering it in the tank and see if it colors back up.. If it came from a vender it was most Likely under t-5 so it may have to acclimate to your lighting..