• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Icecap ATO mini review

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Picked one of these up this week from ACC to use on my frag tank.
Was impressed from the start.
Packaging is bulky, secure, and functional, with easy access and removal of unit.
Upon opening, setup involves placing 2 optical sensors into holding bracket, instructions are clear.
Mount bracket (small enough size for any nano application) in tank.
Drop pump in top up container (I said container so I don't have to try to spell resiv, ressivo, resavio..)
Pump seems tiny, but does the job.

This is well packaged, super easy to set up, seems solid, had 2 optical sensors, has a 3 minute auto shut off in case of failure, is pretty compact, and has a simple display indicating status of pump.
I'm very happy and very impressed with it atm, and over past week seems to perform as expected (though much quieter).
As per this moment, would happily buy again, maybe even over other brands.
Lets see how it goes over the next few weeks.
If it continues to perform, it may be my new go to ATO, its that nice.

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
It's about 3/4" deep from the glass to the front of the unit, and about 1 3/4" to 2" height.

IMG_5990.jpg

Monitor is about 3" x 1.5" and has readings for normal, below, and above level.

IMG_5989.jpg

It really seems a solid unit. I've placed the fill tube over the sensors so they get a rinse every time the tank fills, hoping to prevent any salt creep on the eyes.

At this point I'd happily convert all my tanks over to this unit.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
thanks for the review @Mark_C I might be in the market for a new ATO if my little hack doesn't work. My JBJ worked great when in my sump on the 54. In my 36 (sumpless so its in the tank) it been acting up. I think it was due to the 'waves' from my wave maker making the system go nuts. I picked up a magnetic box that I put the sensor it. It seem to be working better but still keeping an eye on it