• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ick Treatment for a cowfish

My friend has a Cowfish which ahs developed Ick, and he was wondering if Biospheres Antibacteria would be a good treatment for it?

Ich is not a bacteria. This will not cure ich, but it could prevent secondary infections.

Can the cowfish be moved to a hospital tank? Is it in a reef environment or with other fish?

Start soaking its food in garlic extract. If it's a fish only tank with no inverts, or it can be moved to a hospital tank, you can try hyposalinity treatment. Either way it's best to move it to a hospital tank if you have one.

In many cases feeding with garlic is enough to help it's immunity system fight off the parasite.

mellowyellow4lyf said:
could a cleaner wrasse help?

The problem with cleaner wrasses is that when they run out of parasites to clean, they starve to death.

Some stores will sell you one and let you return it when done.

mellowyellow4lyf said:

The cleaner wrasse would probably harass the fish to death, to be honest. And then die itself of either poisoning from the cowfish or straight up malnutrition.

I'd go for the whole "fresh water dip and QT" method. Frankly, it's pretty effective on cowfish.

If ALL his fish have it, he'll have to remove every single one of them, dip all of them (well, all that can be dipped, anyway) and likely medicate in a QT tank.

And, frankly, the only thing I'd use to treat a cowfish would be a Quinine-based medication.

Check out Crypto-Pro by National Fish Pharmacy.

http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/about_us.html

Thanks for all the great suggestions. The fish is by itself other than a coral banded shrimp. no reef just some live rock

Hirobo said:
Thanks for all the great suggestions. The fish is by itself other than a coral banded shrimp. no reef just some live rock

Since you have an invert in there and live rock, I'd say remove the cowfish to a quarantine tank and treat him there.

jonathan. said:
mellowyellow4lyf said:

The cleaner wrasse would probably harass the fish to death, to be honest. And then die itself of either poisoning from the cowfish or straight up malnutrition.

I'd go for the whole "fresh water dip and QT" method. Frankly, it's pretty effective on cowfish.

If ALL his fish have it, he'll have to remove every single one of them, dip all of them (well, all that can be dipped, anyway) and likely medicate in a QT tank.

And, frankly, the only thing I'd use to treat a cowfish would be a Quinine-based medication.

how long should you FW dip them?

Hirobo said:
jonathan. said:
mellowyellow4lyf said:

It depends on the species. I've never FW dipped a cowfish, but some angels can be dipped up to almost 40 minutes or so (have done so myself).

You have to kind of play it by ear and watch the fish for signs of stress/trauma.

jonathan. said:
Hirobo said:
jonathan. said:
mellowyellow4lyf said:

It depends on the species. I've never FW dipped a cowfish, but some angels can be dipped up to almost 40 minutes or so (have done so myself).

You have to kind of play it by ear and watch the fish for signs of stress/trauma.

OH :eek: we only dipped him for 30 seconds DOH

Hirobo said:
jonathan. said:
Hirobo said:
jonathan. said:
mellowyellow4lyf said:

OH :eek: we only dipped him for 30 seconds DOH

Haha, yeah 30 seconds won't really do anything. Really, anything under 10 minutes doesn't do much of anything...

Make sure that when you FW dip them, you make it the same temperature and the same PH. Otherwise, you're risking killing the fish.