• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ID please

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Can someone give me an ID on this coral? I believe it to be Heliopora coerulea, Blue ridge coral. It has the polyps and flesh of a leather but with a hard skeleton.

newtank093.jpg

newtank094.jpg

C

concept3

first one is a blue ridge.

second one looks like some kind of carnation

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
concept3 said:
first one is a blue ridge.

second one looks like some kind of carnation

Thanks Merv. I thought it was as it's the only soft coral with a hard skeleton. The LFS tried to sell it to me as a montipora species.

You're a little off on the second one.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
D'oh. I was gonna type in Blue Ridge but mine is a bit darker......with a light blue ridge. I wasn't sure if it was hard or soft (don't do softies). After all, this is the softie forum.
The second..............gorgonian?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Actually, it is a bit darker, but the flash kinda brightened the pic a little. I've only had it for 2 1/2 weeks and it has quite a bit of new growth on it.

Not a gorgonian either. It was sold as lemnalia. Not a coral you see available very often anymore.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't know. I don't see it.
You may want to post on RC.
Lemnalia%20sp.jpg

The polyps in your picture look more like sea fan polyps than anything.

lemnalia's include colt corals, kenya trees, finger corals, and so forth. I don't think that's what you have. But I could be wrong.

eholceker

NJRC Member
the first one is definitly a blue ridge coral. The second one is very hard to tell. Could be lemnalia. I think it looks more like a nephtea or a neospongodes. Can you take a picture with the sclerites open?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'll try to get a better pic it's gonna be hard as the frag is only about 1/2-3/4 inch when opened.
Actually the sclerites are open in that pic.

It's definitely not a sea fan/gorgonian as it completely retracts like a leather coral and has no skeleton.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ok, I'll try to get some better pics over the weekend. Lights are out now on the tank.

S I said, it's a small frag and my camera isn't the greatest but I'll see what i can do.

I also posted the pic over at RC so we'll see what they have to say too.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Eric seems to think dendronepthea. Here is a pic of it closed up and the closest I can get of the stalk.

newtank097.jpg

newtank099.jpg

eholceker

NJRC Member
very possible. I would say it is either a dendro or a neodpongodes. The 2 are very similiar and hard to tell. Does the coral remain closed when they lights are out?