• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Id Please????

Does anyone know what this thing might be ???... I thought it might be a bubble algae. I goggled it and didn't see anything that comes close to what I have. It has a tear drop shape. It is maroon color at first, then it gets covered in white with orange-red dots. If it pops, it is empty inside. It spreads all over the tank, but attaches itself only to dead corals or plants that are dying.

john90009

NJRC Member
some sort of red macro algea- it grows in my sump and looks nice but if it goes up north the tangs will destroy it- for some reason it likes a lower spectrum like under 10k

looks like red bubble algae.. my brother had it all over the tank but the Hippo tangs and henni's are eating it all..

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I had it in my nano for a while. It didn't do any harm and then just disappeared after a few months.

What's with this is the the algae of the week :)

I just got done trying to ID this algae on another forum. The only thing that I can find that looks like that and there are no pics on the net, is Erythrymenia sp a red algae from the South Indo-Pacific.