• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ideas for a 5G nano tank

I just setup a 5G nano tank in my bedroom. Now im asking what can of lights and fish should i add? Btw it will be a mixed reef. For light i plan to go with 2 led strips one blue and the other white both will be 9watts each. Might that be to much or to less? As for fish i might just add 2-3 more then that any suggestions on what?

howze01

NJRC Member
hmmmm. 5 gallon fish. Maybe smaller Gobies? Yashas or the tiny Flaming Prawn Goby I have been trying to get? Even a Clown Goby might work.

What do you mean by mixed reef? Mixed SPS/LPS? Fish and coral? I would stick to a couple zoos or an Acan or 2 in a tank that size. I also wouldn't even bother with SPS. Such a small amount of water, it's going to be tough to keep parms stable. If you need a couple cool zoos, I have a couple I could give you next time I'm out your way.

hmmmm. 5 gallon fish. Maybe smaller Gobies? Yashas or the tiny Flaming Prawn Goby I have been trying to get? Even a Clown Goby might work.

What do you mean by mixed reef? Mixed SPS/LPS? Fish and coral? I would stick to a couple zoos or an Acan or 2 in a tank that size. I also wouldn't even bother with SPS. Such a small amount of water, it's going to be tough to keep parms stable. If you need a couple cool zoos, I have a couple I could give you next time I'm out your way.

Yea thats what i was thinking of doing just zoa's and mushrooms. Im thinking of adding just to tiny baby black clowns in there till there at least 1 inch then moving them over to my 55G. Sure thing J i'll take them thank you.

Last edited:

howze01

NJRC Member
I don't know about the clown idea. I wouldn't leave them in there for more than a couple of months at most. You could also do some cool little inverts instead of fish too. Maybe a Pom Pom Crab, Sexy Shrimp, Squat Lobster. There are plenty of nice little inverts that would do well in there.

I don't know about the clown idea. I wouldn't leave them in there for more than a couple of months at most. You could also do some cool little inverts instead of fish too. Maybe a Pom Pom Crab, Sexy Shrimp, Squat Lobster. There are plenty of nice little inverts that would do well in there.

I'll just turn it in too a invert reef safe tank

howze01

NJRC Member
Nice! There are a million cool little inverts out there. Bongo Shrimp are sweet too but they need starfish like the Harlequins. A Harlequin/Bongo tank would be cool. You would just have to keep some stars in your 55 sump or tank though.

Nice! There are a million cool little inverts out there. Bongo Shrimp are sweet too but they need starfish like the Harlequins. A Harlequin/Bongo tank would be cool. You would just have to keep some stars in your 55 sump or tank though.

Just no linkias, unless he wants to invest in a plasma cutter to cut the freakin legs off.

Now see thats something i want to find out to see what it is lol

Jonathan and I both have harlequin shrimp in our tanks, and as such we have to keep a supply of starfish on hand to feed them. We generally feed them a variety, consisting of whatever starfish we can find, and are cheap. This usually means choco chips, and sand sifters. But we decided to buy some blue linkia starfish to give to them as a treat, because they supposedly love those kind. It turns out that linkia starfish legs are very tough, and difficult to cut off to feed the shrimp!

Jonathan and I both have harlequin shrimp in our tanks, and as such we have to keep a supply of starfish on hand to feed them. We generally feed them a variety, consisting of whatever starfish we can find, and are cheap. This usually means choco chips, and sand sifters. But we decided to buy some blue linkia starfish to give to them as a treat, because they supposedly love those kind. It turns out that linkia starfish legs are very tough, and difficult to cut off to feed the shrimp!

Nice those are my favorite shrimps

howze01

NJRC Member
Yeah, Linkias must eat titanium! They're legs are super strong! Lest anyone thinks we're millionaires for using Linkias as food, Feng had a couple someone dropped off to him and he gave them to us for $10 each. Pretty much the going rate for Sifters and Chocos.

I say do it A, Harlies are awesome. You will havet o keep an eye on params though. Decayiing starfish legs will pollute a 5g quickly. You could always get some asterinas from someone too so you don't have to feed as many of the bigger stars limbs.

I really like my Sexys too. I'm going to get a couple more of each in my new tank and I'm going to be on the lookout at the Divers Den for Squat Lobsters. I would love one of them in there! Inverts are awesome!!

If you decide to go with a harlequin shrimp in a 5g, Id suggest you watch your water parameters very carefully. When mike and I kept harlequins in our 5g tank, due to water pollution, we did extremely large weekly water changes.
Another interesting Shrimp to consider is the petersons anemone shrimp, or the bumblebee shrimp. Both have done well for us in our 12g nano.
If you decide you want a goby, be sure you have a cover if you are thinking of a yasha hasa or a flaming prawn goby; both species are jumpers.

Whoa!!! talk about spoiled harlequins!

As a former clownfish breeder I can say that a 5 gallon tank is suitable if you have nothing else in there and just the post-meta baby clowns for observation. I used a small hex tank (i think it was 5g) as a temporary grow-out until they could handle more flow in the biocube 29 gallon. However the size clownfish that you normally find at an LFS is already getting too big in my opinion for a 5g. Steamman raises clownfish - i want to say he does maroons and maybe another species. Maybe he might have one or two suitable (if he is selling). But I don't know anyone on the board that is raising the midnight/black clownfish.

p.s. the beauty behind bongo shrimp though is that they do and will eat asterina starfish. I believe harlequins are hit or miss on it. I have plenty of asterinas to supply.

Whoa!!! talk about spoiled harlequins!

As a former clownfish breeder I can say that a 5 gallon tank is suitable if you have nothing else in there and just the post-meta baby clowns for observation. I used a small hex tank (i think it was 5g) as a temporary grow-out until they could handle more flow in the biocube 29 gallon. However the size clownfish that you normally find at an LFS is already getting too big in my opinion for a 5g. Steamman raises clownfish - i want to say he does maroons and maybe another species. Maybe he might have one or two suitable (if he is selling). But I don't know anyone on the board that is raising the midnight/black clownfish.

p.s. the beauty behind bongo shrimp though is that they do and will eat asterina starfish. I believe harlequins are hit or miss on it. I have plenty of asterinas to supply.

I dont have no fish in the tank the moment just 2 snails and 3 blue leg hermit crabs and some rocks. The clowns i plan to purchase will be 1.25" inches there going to be tank raised black clowns btw. They might be a little to big correct? But i do plan to do a small canopy for my 5G tank.

Where do I sign up? I can always use a few to feed the Harlie!

i've been killing them off as i see them. They are dried up little things. If I collect more I'll be sure to keep you in mind. They are tiny morsels. I think I have like maybe 5 or 6 full grown ones that keep breaking little tiny ones off that drive me crazy. The one's that are left defy me by staying close to the sandbed. At 24" in height - i just get lazy about reaching all the way down the tank to get a little tiny asterina. I don't mind a few here and there to round out what's left of my pathetic clean up crew, but when there are a dozen on my display glass - that's ugly/annoying.

NJReefer - I saw these teeeny tiny gobies being sold at AqOb. Also they had 4 beautiful teeny tiny pistol shrimp. A 5g would be a great environment for showcasing a pistol/goby symbiotic relationship.

NJReefer - I saw these teeeny tiny gobies being sold at AqOb. Also they had 4 beautiful teeny tiny pistol shrimp. A 5g would be a great environment for showcasing a pistol/goby symbiotic relationship.

You know what yea i will just do that put a pistol and goby after they out grow my 5G they will move to my 55G.