• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ideas for a 5G nano tank

If you like goby/ pistol pairs, I recommend a yasha hasa goby and a candy stripe pistol- tigers get very large, the candies stay much smaller. I do have to give thumbs up to barnacle blennies as well, I am a big fan of them too, they have so much personality. Either of those two species would be a pretty good fit for a little five g.
Both magnificient gobies and white capped gobies are interesting as well, although I have not kept a white capped myself, I would bet one of them would be ok in a 5 g (FYI all of these fish are jumpers and unfortunately I have leered from personal experience that they are capable of jumping through egg crate- unless you want to join me in being mad when you find a fish on the floor, a cover is a good idea).
I can't speak to lighting as I mostly let mike handle that, but I do like LEDs. :)
Regarding inverts, wehave sexy shrimp, bumblebee shrimp, and a candy pistol in our nano, they are fine together and the sexy shrimp love to hang out on the coral, which makes for great photo opportunities.
Sounds like your plan for your nano is coming along well, can't wait to see your build thread.

If you like goby/ pistol pairs, I recommend a yasha hasa goby and a candy stripe pistol- tigers get very large, the candies stay much smaller. I do have to give thumbs up to barnacle blennies as well, I am a big fan of them too, they have so much personality. Either of those two species would be a pretty good fit for a little five g.
Both magnificient gobies and white capped gobies are interesting as well, although I have not kept a white capped myself, I would bet one of them would be ok in a 5 g (FYI all of these fish are jumpers and unfortunately I have leered from personal experience that they are capable of jumping through egg crate- unless you want to join me in being mad when you find a fish on the floor, a cover is a good idea).
I can't speak to lighting as I mostly let mike handle that, but I do like LEDs. :)
Regarding inverts, wehave sexy shrimp, bumblebee shrimp, and a candy pistol in our nano, they are fine together and the sexy shrimp love to hang out on the coral, which makes for great photo opportunities.
Sounds like your plan for your nano is coming along well, can't wait to see your build thread.

Thanks for the info/advice man =) but for the 5G i plan to do a small canopy where it hold up my led strips.

howze01

NJRC Member
they are all gobies. i would stay away from the hectors and rainfordii in a in a 5 though. theyre both sand sifters and i dont know that they would have enough ti eat in a tank that small. Yellow Rose is an option though. very cool little guys.

they are all gobies. i would stay away from the hectors and rainfordii in a in a 5 though. theyre both sand sifters and i dont know that they would have enough ti eat in a tank that small. Yellow Rose is an option though. very cool little guys.

I feel like a whole new little kid over again lol

Just a quick update this Friday i should be getting 4lbs on fiji rocks. Once i get them inside the tank i will start posting pictures of the tank.