• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

If anybody was looking to get an intro scuba class in

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just be aware that mask, snorkel and fins will run you $300-400 for good stuff. Books, DVD and cert card are another ~$150-200. Add in the cost of the course materials and cards, which most places include in the cost of certification, and you are back up to the normal price.

kevin

NJRC Member
Just be aware that mask, snorkel and fins will run you $300-400 for good stuff. Books, DVD and cert card are another ~$150-200. Add in the cost of the course materials and cards, which most places include in the cost of certification, and you are back up to the normal price.

^^^^^^^^

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
And once you get certified and you fall in love with scuba diving... you're going to want to buy your own BCD & Regulator/Octo and most likely a dive computer too. That's going to cost you another thousand or two when all is said and done.

It can be an expensive hobby but if you love your reef tank, then you will REALLY LOVE scuba diving. Especially if you do it in tropical waters. ;)

kevin

NJRC Member
And once you get certified and you fall in love with scuba diving... you're going to want to buy your own BCD & Regulator/Octo and most likely a dive computer too. That's going to cost you another thousand or two when all is said and done.

It can be an expensive hobby but if you love your reef tank, then you will REALLY LOVE scuba diving. Especially if you do it in tropical waters. ;)

^^^^^^!!!! Nothing is more magical then diving in a tropical area! Diving in dutch springs(PA) is cool, but not the same!!!
Me & the wife need to save up for our own gear.. hopefully go tropical again summer of 2014

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
George and Kevin, you guys need to come dive off the coast here some times. You would be amazed as to how great the diving is.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You got me interested in diving a couple years ago Matt. We do need to get together for some diving some day. Maybe we can hook up sometime this summer? I'd love to check out some Jersey diving.

I got my wife some dive lessons as a B-Day present and promised some dive gear as a V-Day present... but she needs to schedule the classes and pick out her gear soon. Hoping to get her done so she can do her checkout's when we go to Turks & Caicos in May. ;)

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Glad to hear you got the wife involved, she'll love it. We should definitely try to get together this summer for at least one dive. Soon as I get my dive schedule together I'll let you know. Hoping to work some of the charters with my dive shop this year . If so I hope to have a pretty aggressive schedule.

Last edited:

kevin

NJRC Member
Glad to hear you got the wife involved, she'll love it. We should definitely try to get together this summer for at least one dive. Soon ad I get my dive schedule together I'll let you know. Hoping to work some of the charters with my dive shop this year . If so I hope to have a pretty aggressive schedule.

What shop?

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sounds like a plan. I don't really have a dive schedule, so when you get yours worked out Matt, we can all pick one that we can all make!

Does anyone have any idea on how long BCDs and regulators last? I haven't used mine since '96, and don't foresee on using them anytime soon. If still serviceable, I would be more than willing to give them to a club member (or family thereof). Back then, I was 68" and 135 lbs, so I'm pretty sure the BCD was a medium. Also have a 3/4 wet suit, that my fat arse will never come close to fitting into, that I believe is also a medium. They should be able to fit a petite woman or teen.

My dive experiences were in Hawai'ian Islands (Hanauma Bay is much better diving than snorkling), Nassau/Bahama Islands (was ok), the Red Sea (was pretty good), and by far and away Wake Island. Unfortunately that place is not accessible to the general public, and was a once in a lifetime experience. I could not even begin to explain what it was like, other than picture yourself as the little bubble divers in a 1000 gl mixed reef tank! Before I pass on, I would like to dive Fiji and Truk Lagoon.

BCD's and regs can last many many years. Your are no very old. I have seen some coming into the shop from the 70's!!

As long as they are checked over by a shop and serviced and given the green light...they should be fine.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yup, as Steve said they can last forever if serviced. If you want I can come take a look at them once you dig them out, I'm right in Waretown. BCs can be questionable if they sit too long and dry out. I have regulators that a friend gave me that sat since the 80's, had them serviced and they work fine.