• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

If I only had the space... Or do I?

My LFS just got this in. Couple of questions, Is this an abnormal size for a Monti that's been in a tank? Anyone even have a guess how old this monster may be? Just for reference, the bottom layer of this is about the circumfrance of a :eek: basketball. :eek:

RichT said:
I think the ooops implies he already bought it Mike.

I think it's because he forgot to post the picture. Either way I was just playing around ... I deffinately don't have room for it

I had a purple one that was about that size - not quite as tall. It grew from a 1" square frag to that size in 2 years. My green monti is currently 8" across and about 4" tall at the moment - grew it from a 1" square in almost a year.

Sorry guys/gals, the oops was because I forgot to post the picture. I really dont have room for it either and since I'm just getting into the whole sps thing I wouldn't want to gamble the health of such a beautiful coral.
Tom

lawman said:
Sorry guys/gals, the oops was because I forgot to post the picture. I really dont have room for it either and since I'm just getting into the whole sps thing I wouldn't want to gamble the health of such a beautiful coral.
Tom

That is one of most hardiest SPS corals (what do you think, why else would it be so large ;D ) and a good beginners choice. Try to get a frag of it, and if you can't and you are willing to travel to Plainsboro, I can sell you a small frag.

C

concept3

yep, ditto on the monti- they are extremely fast growers, you can def grow a monti to that size in a year or year and a half- given you have the space and decent water. a frag will serve you better, as it will conform to your water and space. that coral in the pic was most likely from another reefer's tank, as they do not ship well in that size from their collection areas.