• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

If you don't have a clue - at least have a plan!

So you have decided to take up reefkeeping.........Good for you!

So what's the plan?? ???

You do have a plan. right!? ;)

Reefkeeping is a fascinating, challenging and very rewarding hobby.

But it can be costly both in terms of money and the lives of the organisms you plan to keep. Not to mention the potential risk to your downstairs neighbor if your first tank is a 300 gallon monster kept in your 3rd floor walk-up apartment built in 1910. ;D (There is a lot of weight in a glass box with 300 gallons of water! Can your floor support what you're going to setup?)

The good news is there are plenty of sources of good information about reefkeeping that you can learn from before you get started.
The bad news is you have to research a lot of good sources of reefkeeping information quickly if you've already setup a reef before you've learned the basics.

But don't panic.....yet! We are here to help you!

When a journalist starts to research a potential story, they are taught to answer questions known as the 5W's and an H. Who, what, where, when, why and how. For reefkeepers I think the same questions need to be answered but in this order, Why, who, what, where, when, and how. I'll post some thoughts on all of these over the next few days/weeks. But for those who like to forge ahead I'll suggest a few sources of lite reading.

For those addicted to online reading, try these links:

The New Tank Thread / Reef Central

Setting Up a New Tank--Needs to Consider / Reef Central

Reefkeeping Magazine

Remember when reading anything on the internet, especially the stuff I post, ;D you need to compare opinions from multiple sources and use common sense before coming to a conclusion!

If you like to get your information the old fashion way, try some good books.

The Reef Aquarium: Science, Art, and Technology, Vol. 3 (Hardcover)
by Julian Sprung (Author), J. Charles Delbeek (Author)

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists (Microcosm/T.F.H. Professional) (Hardcover)
by Robert M. Fenner (Author), Matthew L. Wittenrich (Photographer), Scott W. Michael (Photographer), Alf Jacob Nilsen (Photographer), Christopher Turk (Foreword)

Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History (Hardcover)
by Eric H. Borneman (Author)

So let's start with the why. Why do you want to be a reefer?

Is it the cool colors? To impress your friends? Are you a mad scientist or do you have a passion for the sea?

Hopefully you are interested in living up to the NJRC creed found on the welcome page to this forum which states:

The purpose of the New Jersey Reefers Club is:

To promote interest in and enjoyment of all aspects of marine aquariums and reef keeping
To educate our members and the public on topics related to the biology, physiology, and chemistry of reef biotopes through the sponsorship of meetings, lectures, publications, websites, exhibits and other means.
To provide a forum for sharing resources and information among local aquarium enthusiasts.
To support research, education, conservation and responsible reef keeping efforts aimed at improving marine and coral reef environments .
To involve, educate and provide scholarships for young people about marine aquariums, reefkeeping, aquatic life and future marine careers.

Why is why important? Because there are a great many ways to build and maintain a reef; and an even greater number of marine creatures that can be kept in a saltwater aquarium.

By the way, you do realize that a reef requires saltwater, right? :eek:

So anyone out there want to talk about why they a starting a reef tank?

Anyone? :D

Anyone? :D

Beuhler? ::)

Beuhler? :eek:

Who! :eek:

After that stimulating discussion of why are you keeping a reef aquarium; it's time to address the who question.

So the obvious answer is you (me); I'll be keeping the reef. ;D But who applies to more than the tank owner.

Some of the who questions include:

Who will be living with the tank? A spouse who can't stand the sound of running water. Toddlers that need to be kept away from an open top 100 gallon stock tank that will look like a bathtub.

Who will care for the tank when you are not around? Is business travel part of your life? Are there family members that can back you up? Do you need a good maintenance service?

Who will be the source of knowledge and advice you need? Is there a trusted LFS owner/employee in the area who has the right stuff? Do you belong to a community of reefkeepers who are caring, dedicated and extremely knowledgeable (like NJRC); whose advice you can rely upon? ;)

Any other who's out there? Horton? Horton?

Just read the post. I'm way into the ocean, just a surf rat from Point Beach and many years ago back when I was in school I wanted to be a marine biologist. I took some oceanography and marine biology courses. Well that worked out well.

I’ve been in the hobby for close to 20yrs and I’m stll asking myself why. Simple answer read above.

I keep mostly SPS corals in my system.

Why- I was always interested in corals and loved the colors of marine fish.

But the how is what made it happen. We just moved to our house and i was getting ready to set up another planted tank but my wife asked if we could get a clownfish. This time i said yes because all i needed was rock sand and a skimmer and the lfs was having their annual sale in 2 weeks.

The who-- i was always interested in the colors of sps and the movement of lps. So i started with easy to keep corals and as I learned the husbandry i am moving to a more sps dominated tank, fish well of course had to get the clownfish after the first tank cycled then did research on reefsafe fish and decided on cerub angle, and a skunk psudochromis in my 20, when i upgraded i added a scooter blenny, yellow tang, and hippo tang
I'm getting ready to go away again and have everythng under control auto top off with 25 gal of water, 25 gal SW ready in case of an emergency,5gal bucket for skimmate, auto feeder, person to check once a week, and LFS coming midway through trip with RO incase if im running low. My source of knowlege is from fellow reefers (mostly in the club) 3-4 books and many magazines. Really enjoying reef life right now. Plus there is nothing like at the frag swap listening to such great speakers and knowing new findings and better methods of husbandry from them.

What am i doing to preserve the hobby? I have 1 wild coral but now I only trade or buy propigated corals. If a fish is available and i have a choice between it being bred or wild caught i always choose a bred specimine. my next fish will be a cb black ocellaris to go with my cb orange ocellaris. The other thing i do to help preserve the hobby is spread the word about it, and it seems many people are afraid of it because it is very difficult to keep a reef tank. So I educat them and they see it really is just as much work or less than keeping other common pets. When you tell people how the mini ecosystem works and that much of it was not taken from the ocean but by breeding, propigateng and sharing it turns them on to reefing. And the best part is when they see a solid club always willing to help and share information it takes a lot of the intimidation out of keeping a reef.

Nice to have some company, thanks for the posts guys! ;D

My ideas about what were directed towards. "What are you going to be keeping?" But what am I doing to preserve the hobby and the living organisms involved is indeed and important and noble thought. ;)

There are many ways to keep a reef and there are many types of coral to keep. Matching a system to the right corals can go a long way toward making your first reefkeeing experience a positive one.

Jeff has put together a nice overview of system types here!

Ron also hinted at a progressive approach to the what of reefkeeping that I highly recommend. I believe everyone should keep easy, readily propagated corals in their first system and move on to harder ones after they have mastered the basics.

When you can keep Kenya Trees, Green Star Polyps and some Toadstools, you have a better chance of taking care of some easy LPS. When you have mastered Candycanes and some Hammers, you are now ready for some Montipora. When you are able to frag excess Monti's, give those Acros a try! ;D

Why: I have loved snorkeling and the ocean in general. My wife liked the fish. So SW after decades of tropical fish was the obvious next step.
Who: I do most of the dirty work, planning and composition was a family affair, and I think the whole family loves the tank.
For vacations I try to do my maintenance before I go and have neighbor feed the fish daily.
What: For the most part I like Ron have tried to stick with CB fish and wouldn't keep a fish that I didn't feel I could handle or would likely not survive. I do have some wild caught fish so I would say I follow the same rule as Ron. I think almost all of my corals are from frags and have been bought that way. I believe that is the way to go too. I have tried to promote conservation in the club. From putting pressure on LFS to having Alex come and speak at my house during the meeting.
I have a mixed reef and didn't add any really harder corals till recently, and those were all frags from our raffles.
On a positive/new note I "fragged" my orange cap the first time last night. When it grows some I will pass it along. I think that the club has a good undertow of play it forward with club members that might be missed if you only look at the for sale section.

Ah summer time and the livin' is easy! ;D

Some vacation time has slowed me down a bit. I'll start working on where, when and how soon.

Of course one thought about when is don't start up a new reef right before you leave for vacation. ;)

second you on that one.
It us nerve racking being away
I have someone checking in on the tank but there is nothing line seeing it for yourself. I even hired a service to come in to check things out and do a water change if needed. Make a list of maitnence beforehand and lable everything. That makes if a lot easier.