• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

If you grow macro algae what's your lighting

I've seen so many sites saying LEDs grow macro really well. They sell some light with a$ range of 30+ and up. I have been growing macro from the start, tried both and love my compact cfl from lowes. I'm using the daylight color so 6500k. Works great and a 3 pack runs less than some led bulb. So fellow reefers if you grow macro, what do you use?

The last time I had a fuge that's what I used too, with a clamp on reflector. Ultimately, I stared using a 6500K flood light since the reflector became a little pitted.

Last edited:
My sump has a frag area in the center and the right side with macro covered by an aqua illuminations SOL blues grows well

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I use a CF bulb as well. Used a work box and ceramic light socket wired with a cut off extension cord. It's been working really well so far. I have also been looking at the LED bulbs specifically for growing macro but I can't say I'm totally sold yet. I would also like to hear options from those who have used them.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I've been running and LED Red/Blue mix PAR38 bulb and just ordered a 40w CFL off amazon.

I wasn't getting the same growth on my cheato compared to the CFL.

Im running some random 6500k T5 freshwater bulb on my refug. I had it from my freshwater tank so decided to move it over. Was planning on upgrading it, but my Cheato is growing out of control I run it for 10 hours a day. Growing macro algae doesn't need high quality lighting like leds. IMO

Can you post link to bulbs on amazon please? I need a new one for my fuge because the LED I have from fathom doesn't work well.

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
08d16fb35e7fa03adc82c94e34e9b018.jpg

One of these and a cheap clip on fixture

I also had great success with an incandescent grow light bulb from home cheapo. :p