• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Impulse buy sets the tone for the tank

Ok, so last night my wife and I were at the LFS and I saw a beautiful blue headed wrasse (Thalassoma bifasciatum). These are not reef safe. I knew this at the time of purchase, and they won't attack or bother corals, just inverts.

That said, I have now set the tone for an interesting type of reef tank. I've already upgraded my skimmer to one much more powerful than is normally needed for my tank. I will add a tang or 2, and maybe an algae blenny for algae control. I'll need to step up water changes to control my levels with a high bioload. I'm also going to research alternative ideas, like vodka dosing.

Depending on what the wrasse bothers, I may be able to stock some snails and crabs, but that remains to be seen. I have a feeling my dwarf ceriths will be gone within a week.

Now the good news... I've resigned myself to not having shrimp or many other common reef cleaners, and there are many non-reef safe animals that only bother inverts. I can now add more diversity than I would have otherwise been able to. Including eels, and other unlikely reef candidates.

Please note that this was an impulse buy, but I knew what I was getting into. I don't advise trying this, but I will see how it goes, and I think with proper upkeep, I may be able to pull off a reef with some "non reef-safe" livestock.

Wish me luck, and let me know if you have any other suggestions for algae control without a standard cleanup crew.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I would ensure a steady regimen of water changes. Also, are you running anything to eliminate phosphate, such as a phosban reactor. You can follow my thread and others regarding vodka dosing. Its been 3 weeks and I think it's helping with algae and the water is much more clear.

MAVL666 said:
I would ensure a steady regimen of water changes. Also, are you running anything to eliminate phosphate, such as a phosban reactor. You can follow my thread and others regarding vodka dosing. Its been 3 weeks and I think it's helping with algae and the water is much more clear.

Yep, going to start doing more frequent changes and add a Phosban reactor.

I've actually been following the thread, so in a few weeks when my cleanup crew has become escargo for my wrasse, I'll see how you're doing and research starting it up if I still need to find alternate methods of algae removal.

Thanks.

I think two tangs is OK.
My suggestions for you are kole, convict, tomini, atlantic blue(think hardier then hippo and better disposition then yellow). Of course there are some others that I don't know about like the lavender or mimics that might work. I suppose you can make others work but the above 4 are IMO the "safest" 4 for smaller tanks.

it's a good thing there are no Tang police in the club or you'll probably get crucified for 2 tangs in a 75. i would stick to the smaller tangs. I would go with one though, 2 might be stretching it in a 75. good luck going cleanerless...

harryk said:
it's a good thing there are no Tang police in the club or you'll probably get crucified for 2 tangs in a 75. i would stick to the smaller tangs. I would go with one though, 2 might be stretching it in a 75. good luck going cleanerless...

As I see it, if I get 2 small tangs now, I'll have an excuse to upgrade as they grow. I've been purchasing all of my equipment as if I have a 120g, so once I'm at a point where I need to upgrade I'll just need a tank and stand!

The wrasse seems to be leaving the hermits alone, but I have a small graveyard of snail shells in one corner of the tank where he hunts. He mostly goes after the dwarf ceriths, and hasn't seemed to bother my nassarius or large turbos at all.

He does like to chase the chromis around, but doesn't seem to do any harm, so hopefully he won't throw the balance off in the tank too much.

Knock wood, but so far so good.