• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

In Need of Some Advice. House is Scheduled to be Raised. What Should I DO with Tank

Hey Guys,

Hoping to get some of your ideas on the issue I have. I have a 150 built in reef tank that is filled with amazing corals and fish. However, my house will be lifted in a few months, and I am unsure on what to do with everything. I would hate to have to sell, and start over again. The construction could last anywhere from 6 weeks to 3-4 months. All the utilities will have to be disconnected during the construction. I have a 10,000 watt generator, but it is surely not meant to run weeks at a time. I have been thinking about trying to find at least a 100 plus tank to transfer them into at my temporary residence during the construction. Not sure if it is wise to transfer everything for a few months to transfer them right back. Does anyone have any tanks, filters that I could use. Wouldn't have to be anything nice. Any suggestions on how to carryout the transfer smoothly without to much disturbance. Maybe the contractors can leave a dedicated powerstrip in place, but would have to check if construction permits will allow. Any ideas are greatly appreciated as I am still a few months out from lifting.

Thank You,
Steve

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Any time you disturb a reef there is always a chance things can go bad. However, given that you have a ton of time, you can plan this pretty well and take a lot of the risk out. If you can setup a tank at a temporary residence (that can be a tank or rubbermaid containers or anything inbetween) you should be ok. HOB skimmers, cannister filters, or anything will help. Lights don't have to be amazing but with corals, you want something. You can move all your livestock and live rock over and keep them in the temp tanks for a while. Frequent water changes and some dr tims should keep you in a healthy range.

You will not be allowed to have any utilities connected during the raise. The electric company will actually pull the meter so no power strips, generators, etc...

So definitely plan on the transfer.

Just talked with my lifting company, and you`re right that no utilities will be allowed to be connected throughout the process. Furthermore, I will not be allowed to enter the house once it is lifted for insurance reasons, so I will definitely be doing the transfer. If anyone has any 100 gallon plus tank, so I can start establishing the temporary tank please let me know. Will the tank need to have all the reactors, and skimmers hooked into it as well for the duration, or will frequent water changes keep the majority of the levels at bay. Once everything is transferred I could probably bring over some of the filtration, and lighting from the main tank to hook up to the temporary tank. Thank You

reactors you could probably live without. just stick whatever media it is in a media bag - carbon, GFO, whatever. except maybe if you use biopellets - i know nothing about them so somebody else is best to let you know if those are ok in just a bag. but if not you could just switch to vodka or vinegar if you need the carbon to keep N and P in check.