• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Indonesia bans coral export

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Jakarta is actually a very large hub when it comes to coral exports, a decent amount of maricultures sps flows through and from Jakarta.

Honestly, I disagree. I like seeing that countries are taking a stand to protect the natural coral reefs. With the advances in our hobby, all corals should be aquacultured now. We should not continue depleting the worlds reefs for our hobby.

I agree with you supratt that corals need to be protected. But I disagree that this law helps to do that.

Consider the flip side of the coin is that the ornamental industry does help support local livelihoods in places that probably would not have any income. Like the poor fisherman in Indonesia that was eating maxima clams for dinner every day instead of selling the clams to the hobby. Look at this huge facility in indonesia documented by James fatheree 7 years ago.
Aquarium Invertebrates: A Trip to an Indonesian Coral and Clam Farm

So in a single day essentially the gov't just told these people they no longer have jobs and now instead of a clam being sold for $20, $30 (pre retail) - now that market is closed.

Laws work if they are enforced. A law like this only penalizes the lawful abiding owners. There are still plenty of i d i o t s out there who put sticks of dynamite or use a hammer to get at coral. But will a law like this stop them? No way. Those people will just sell via a different country...or smuggle the stuff out. A quick google look at Indonesia and you see it's an archipelago...so I am going to guess their border control is probably a lot worse than ours.

Border Guard: What do you have to declare?
Me: A box of rocks.
Border Guard: What every week?
Me: Yeah.
Border Guard: The rocks have to be in water?
Me: yeah it smells otherwise. Some of the rocks have pointy sticks but here's $20 and don't bother me.

Sorry my fictional writing needs help. =)

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
This isn't truly a "ban" per say. It's also a really poorly translated document. So basically there are two federal organizations and each feel they (and only they) should be in charge of issuing CITES. The issuing organization is the one who collects the fee's. So there's alot of money involved.

This should only last a few weeks max. I don't expect more than a month.

That's gotta be a real killer for Jason fox signature corals as I recall from watching a presentation jason fox gave the large majority of the corals he sells were harvested from Indo and he regularly goes there to find kew corals. He spoke about there collection practices and even made mention that the harvesting,crews he goes out with harvested whole colonies and he had attempted to teach them the practice of leave the majority of the colony behind so it can continue to grow

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
Here is an update from one of our suppliers. So ya basically a pissing match between indo government departments on who gets the money for CITES

Updated on Indo Coral Ban:
During Interzoo 2018, OFI was able to organize a meeting with several of our members from Indonesia that are coral exporters, as well as AKKII (the Indonesian Coral Shell and Ornamental Fish Association) and the Executive Secretary of the Ministry of marine Affairs and Fisheries. There is still some confusion around this export ban and what it means to industry, so an opportunity to have a discussion with the relevant ministry to get a better understanding of the situation and to highlight the impact of the ban on industry was timely.

We asked the Executive Secretary if there was a specific reason behind the ban and he indicated that there was no specific reason, but was needed as part of restructuring of the cooperative links between the ministry’s involved with CITES permits and export certification, as well as strengthening surveillance and monitoring of the trade to ensure it meets management guidelines. He also indicated that Indonesia is embarking on a 5 year plan and part of this involved an assessment of the sustainable use and conservation of natural resources including marine resources such as corals finalising the review 2019 or 2020.

OFI highlighted the importance of having a sustainable industry that can provide livelihoods for the long term, which is a cornerstone of the OFI Charter, but also the extreme pressure this ban puts on the industry. We also indicated that if the ban remains in place for a long period of time that coral buyers will look to alternative sources for corals, jeopardising the Indonesian coral export industry along with an industry estimate of USD$35 million of investment and 12,000 sustainable jobs in Indonesia. There is also a wider industry concern as well. Whiles statistics are difficult to attain, many industry sources indicate that coral exports from Indonesia account for 50 to 60% of the corals traded in our industry so a protracted export ban will not only affect Indonesian exporters but also the wider world wide industry and hobby as there will be no other exporters that will be able to supply the volume of coral lost to the trade in the short term.

OFI asked the Executive Secretary if the Indonesian government might consider an interim measure whereby exporters could continue to trade to some degree while the issues behind the ban are sorted out in order to protect the industry. The Executive Secretary indicated he would pass this on, and also that industry needs to present its case and may need to supply a risk analysis to support the industry’s case. OFI has undertaken to assist our Indonesian members and AKKII in this. In the first instance we will be writing a letter to relevant ministers and their departments highlighting the significant impacts that this has to industry and jeopardises the livelihoods of around 12,000 people who are employed in this industry. However, it is likely we will need industry support to help fund this work – a risk analysis will be expensive (NB: PIJAC’s fight is Hawaii has cost $300,000 plus) and we have already begun lobbying industry to help with this should it be needed. In the meantime, the Indonesian exporters asked for calm and patience from their customers and the industry and they are working on the situation and hope to have a resolution.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Honestly, I disagree. I like seeing that countries are taking a stand to protect the natural coral reefs. With the advances in our hobby, all corals should be aquacultured now. We should not continue depleting the worlds reefs for our hobby.

I find this good news too!... I always tried to buy captive tank bred fish or for the most part other Members fish, corals and frags even if they were wild caught prior but not direct from the wild that includes LFS who only sell wild caught..I did once when I first started and still regret it to this day :( ...A part of this Hobby and Club is to help "conservation of our ocean reefs" as stated on the home page...Buying Wild Caught is not conservation of our ocean reefs...Their having a tough time as it is with climate change and pollution..You are correct Steve? (Sorry if i got ya name wrong...it's been a long time:) ) " With the advances in our hobby, all corals should be aquacultured now. We should not continue depleting the worlds reefs for our hobby."...Just yesterday I had a guy come over to buy some equipment (Newbie and not set up yet) and I asked him where he was going to get his LS..He said a store...At that point I told him .. he should join NJRC and buy Members LS for this reason

Last edited:

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I always point people to NJRC when I talk them in the pet store.
Do you pull them into a corner and whisper it to them so the owner don't hear? :D ;) :)
7GTF2Pg.gif