• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Inducing a cycle

I removed about five pounds of sand from my tank today. My diamond gobi( I have a price on his head) who I cannot capture continues to drive me nuts. I rearranged some rock work after removing sand and took away his favorite place to make havoc. Sure enough he found another place to kick up sand and bury coral that sit on sand bed. Any advice how to catch a diamond gobi?

I knew I would kick up a mini cycle by removing sand.

Here are my parameters
Ph- 8.2
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite= 0.2
Nitrate = 2.5
Phos = 0

Is the nitrite anything to worry about? I know this is really early in the game. Wondering if I should be checking ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate daily?

I added half a bottle of Doctor Tims I had laying around.
Has anyone else gone through this before?
Did It lead to any losses of fish?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Is the nitrite anything to worry about?

With saltwater, not one bit. As a matter of fact, throw that test kit away. Nitrite is never an issue with saltwater livestock. For the life of me, I don't know why people test for it, other then tracking a cycle. Only need to test for ammonia (very "poisonous"), and nitrate (final decomposition product.)

Wow that is interesting. Have to say this is first time I heard this. I have heard that nitrite is just as bad as ammonia and that the nitrate was not really a big deal.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nitrite levels in saltwater tanks never get high enough to impact the fish (and other invertebrates). However, you do have to watch nitrite levels in freshwater tanks.

HERE is a nice read from Dr. Randy.

Thanks for the forwarding the article. It was an excellent read. Ha ha..glad to know i don't need to test nitrite often if at all.