• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Installation of Outer Orbit Pro Series 48" light system

Hi gang. I'm sure nobody remembers me, I joined a while back (few years) and life put my tank build on the back burner. Long story short I'm back to putting the tank together and I need to figure out how to install my lights. The light system is an Outer Orbit Pro Series 48" 2x250 MH and T5.

I was thinking that I would prefer to hang them so that:

1. nobody accidentally knocks them in (not sure how easy or hard that would be)
2. I have the ability to adjust height so that I can more easily acclimate corals and also so I can get into the tank to clean, etc.

I would appreciate some feedback from you guys on whether I should actually hang them, and if I do, what is a good DIY or purchased method.

Thanks,
Jim

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What's nice about that kit, is that it's adjustable from the top and the bottom. Set the top where you want the light to be. You can raise it from the bottom if you need to work in the tank or raise it for acclimation.

Thanks guys. Sorry it took me a few days to reply. I ordered the parts and they are arriving today. I'll start a tank build thread so you guys can follow along and I can keep the Q&A in one spot.

Ps, It looked like they were packaged individually so I figured I needed to order 2 - one for each side. Hopefully I don't now have an extra.:eek:

They come two per kit...

I found that out. Ha ha.

I also found out that my ceiling joists won't let me mount the fixture in the ceiling where I would want. I'm going to mount a board on the ceiling and attach the fixture mounts on there. I had picked up a 1 inch pine board but I think I'll go exchange that for 5/4 instead in the morning.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yea sometimes the joists don't play nice. Both times I setup my 65G tank, I put the light up first and then put the tank under it. :D

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You could still use a toggle bolt....and one made for swag lights to easily hang the lights. These get drilled directly into the sheetrock and hold something like 50 pounds. Easy way to do it without putting up a board.

up-j2g1b.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion but I cannot. My home is old and the ceilings and walls are a very odd blend of materials. It's made of studs with a wallboard that is made of about 5/8 inch of compressed fibers of what seem like wood, horsehair and glue with a thin brown or scratch coat, followed by a thin white plaster coat. They can barely support a picture.

Welcome back. While it may not be perfect aligned there has to be studs somewhere in the ceiling could screw into.

Thanks guys. I tried to link this to my old tank build thread and continue it there but it didn't work. In any event it's title is this

New-(tank-and-reefer)-90-gallon-build