• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Installing a mini split air conditioning unit

So the best laid out plans dont always work. My fish room which was just constructed a few months ago is a little too air tight and the temps in the room are pushing 82 degrees. I've been able to keep my tank temps under 80 but thats with running a big fan over the tank 24/7. My sg has remained stable but I am concerned about the impact all of the evaporation will have on the room as well as the impact the higher temps will have on some of my equipment particularly my light fixture. More importantly, its my hide away and at 82 degrees its all that comfortable for me to hang out in for too long.

The portabel AC units on wheels wont work because I dont have a window near by so I have researching the mini split units and I was wondering if anyone on here has put one in themselves or know of anyone that installs them. I have all of the tools to do the job and I even know how to use almost all of them....lol. Anything you can share with me would be greatly appreciated.

I've not done an install, but from what I've seen they're very easy as long as you get a model that doesn't require brazing. You're comfortable running the power?

the only kind of power I am comfortable running is an extension cord :) I am fortunate enough to have a brother in-law who is an electrician that can do that for me. Most of the systems I have been looking at have the flexible line sets where they just screw onto the compressor unit so I dont think brazing is required but I could be wrong.

Fish room has an exterior (ground floor) wall? If electric is covered, the rest is just manual labor. You can totally DIY. You pulling a permit?

Fish room has an exterior (ground floor) wall? If electric is covered, the rest is just manual labor. You can totally DIY. You pulling a permit?

Fish room is in the basement directly behind the tank so i do have exterior access. im not planning on pulling a permit.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2