• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Interceptor

ryanpal

NJRC Member
Anyone try interceptor? my parameters seem to be pretty solid, however, i still see recession in one or two chalices. reefcentral reported good results.

I'm wondering if anyone tried this...and also if they are somewhat local (rockaway 07866) if they would be open to selling some.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If it's what i'm thinking of, i believe you are trying an in tank treatment for a pest. I used sentinel, same thing. It works on red and black bugs, but will not work on flatworms. You would have to confirm if you have a pest or not, i used half of a 50-100 lb dog tab in my tank and got rid of black bugs.

Be careful as sentinel also contains lufenuron.This is a flea control means where it inhibits chiton syntheses. The egg tooth on the hatching larvae is made of chiton....as is the exoskeleton of adult fleas. You can't live if you can't hatch and you also can't live if you can't morph. If you have shrimp or crabs or copopods they may be affected. Interceptor only has the milbimycin.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My hermits didn't live through it, i didn't have any shrimp, pods came back though.

Unless you know you have redbugs then there is no reason at all to try interceptor. It is very easy to see them if you have them.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
There is a type of very small copepod or bug that has been found eating chalices and causing them to recede for no visible reason. Interceptor has been found to kill them and stop the chalice from receding further

ryanpal

NJRC Member
thank you for the replies guys. we retested the water parameters and it seems the alk dropped a good amount. i think part of the problem might be the big swing with alk (it went pretty high and then dropped). we'll try to keep this under control and do a dip on the chalice only (if that's possible) if the alk is not the underlying issue

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you really want to check for a pest, get a bottle of bayer and do a dip with the chalice (make sure you have the correct water to bayer dose, i don't know what it is offhand). Check for what came off the chalice.