• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Internal or External Pump?

I'm thinking/planning the build again and I have a return pump which can be run internal or external. Excluding heat and potential leaks what other factors/opinions for a external verses internal pump. I was leaning internal and now thinking external....

Thanks!

I ran both it's really up to you I think internal is more of a pain takes up room and cause unnecessary heat
I now have a external pump on my system and love it it's a little loud but it's down stairs so I only hear it when I'm down there.
If you have the room do external just my 2 cents

I always worry about fire, so having my pump internal reduces some risk. My pump also provides around 90% of the energy needed to heat my system.

Thanks. I'm don't think I'm too worried about leaking as once plumbed and everything is running, I don't see many people saying that the bulk head or pump suddenly starts to leak. The thing I was thinking is it's really one less thing to clean. When I took apart my 45 cube the pump was covered with I think the snail or work casing (white hard tubes). By going external, this would remove that task.

If you go external it's good to put a union ball valve on the input and output it makes it easy to unhook for cleaning. I have two of the same pumps that I rotate every six months.

I am putting a 420 gal tank in...went with 2 pumps...like the idea of if one pump stops, 2 nd one keeps the flow going. I also went with ball valves and external...like the idea of pumps being out of the water....one thing though...it does take up space...I have 2" bulkheads out of the sump and with the 2" ball valves and the pumps...it eats up 24 inches of floor space...I just planned on that in my build...
I have a pic of that over in "tale of the tank" 420 gal in my sun room"