• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Internal ovetflow boxes

Hello reef members,

Its that of the year again when you finally saved up enough money to upgrade to a new tank. Well at least that in my case. I'm making plans of getting new tank measuring 140 L x 30 H x 30 D. I'm getting this tank made by customaquariums.com and just got my quote of how much it will cost me.
But now I am asking members with large aquarium on how to set up internal overflow box for an intake of 4,000 or 6,000 GPH. Custom aquarium do have their own ideal of overflow towers but for the size and GPH i would like would require several of towers.
I would like to install at least 2 corner and 2 center overflow box (if needed). I would like to run the bean animal style or herbie flow plumbing into these boxes with 2" pvc and ideally a 1" return as well. Any input will help and thanks for your time to help a reef member with this project.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Congrats on the big upgrade. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Rough estimates it's about 500g. I will generally shoot for 3-5 times turn over which means 1500-2500gph for your tank. An 1.5" full siphon should handle it easily.

As for overflow boxes current trend is to have a very slim one not full towers. They don't take much space in the tank and a lot of surface skimming.