• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Is my skimmer oversized?

I am concerned my skimmer is oversized. I am getting a lot of waste accumulating in the neck of the skimmer and the collection bucket was all black skimmate. I am going to be replacing this skimmer and I am wondering if this size skimmer might be too much for my 240 gallons worth of water. My bioload will be decreasing some as well. Everyone says bigger is better. I have been thinking about the super reef octopus 3000ext/5000ext cone skimmer or 5000ext regular skimmer. Reef specialties is telling everyone the ones I want are better suited for 400 gallon plus systems due to it having a 6" neck. I have also been considering the bubble kings, but I am not sold on them yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

2010-03-24074300.jpg

Pile was the size of a baseball on the paper towel, you can't tell from the pictures.
2010-05-26201247.jpg

2010-05-26201328.jpg

2010-05-26201939.jpg

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Hey Mike, the skimmer seems to be working perfectly, and your bubble column in the body of the skimmer looks great. I dunno if you need to replace the one you have. How long did it take for that much "gunk" to accumulate in the neck of the skimmer??

2-3 weeks to accumulate. I don't have a choice about replacing the skimmer as I have been borrowing this one. So I guess I will try to stick with a similar sized skimmer.

Hey! I know what that little blue and lime green scoop in the background of pic #3 is! It came with the baby bathtub we just got.

Wish my skimmer pulled that much gunk out.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Mbodell said:
2-3 weeks to accumulate. I don't have a choice about replacing the skimmer as I have been borrowing this one. So I guess I will try to stick with a similar sized skimmer.

I am kind of "anal" when it comes to my skimmer and I clean it every few days, but I would think that amount of buildup is normal for a 3 week span in between cleanings.

FWIW I have a BK300 ext and absolutely love it, LMK if you want any info on it.

I had been cleaning it 1-2 a week but I think part of me let it go because I kinda wanted to see what it could produce in the bucket. I had no idea that much had built up in the neck.

The BK300ext seems to be a very popular skimmer. Do you think it is worth the extra money over the super reef octo skimmers?

Have you looked into the Royal-Exclusiv Vertex Cone Skimmer or the ATB Cone Skimmer? These skimmer can easily handle your tank water volume. I got the Vertex 250 and loving it.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Mbodell said:
The BK300ext seems to be a very popular skimmer. Do you think it is worth the extra money over the super reef octo skimmers?

It really depends what you are looking to keep in terms of corals and what type of bio-load you are going to have. I plan on having a lot of SPS eventually and also a lot of fish. So I basically went all out and got the top of the line, since I wanted to have as little nutrients as possible for the SPS.

There is a large different in price between the two, so if your not looking to go into SPS and have a lot of fish, I dont think it is worth the extra $$. HTH

Well I am already keeping sps and I have started the zeovit method as well. I will have a decent amount of fish when all is said and done.
I did consider the atb, but if I am going to spend that much I would rather get the bubble king. I am just wondering if the pump and cnc machinery make the bubble king worth the extra $.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I started the Zeovit method too, which factored into my decision to get the BK. Your more than welcome to come by anytime and check it out. It really is an impressive piece of equipment.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mbodell said:
I am getting a lot of waste accumulating in the neck of the skimmer and the collection bucket was all black skimmate

I get that much in my MRC if after a month if I "slack off" and don't clean it weekly, but I NEVER had black skimmate like that :eek: WOW My skimmate doesn't even stink anymore since I haven't been using the reefsnow
dnov99 said:
FWIW I have a BK300 ext and absolutely love it, LMK if you want any info on it.

Darren, I was going to ask you how you liked that skimmer, but I was giving you a chance to become familiar with it. I have to get over there someday to see it. :)

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Tazmaniancowboy said:
Darren, I was going to ask you how you liked that skimmer, but I was giving you a chance to become familiar with it. I have to get over there someday to see it. :)

Hey Don, its an awesome skimmer. I live right near sunny, so stop by after this months meeting. I think I might actually make this one!! LOL.