• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Is This a Game Changer?

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have been following the chatter and I don't know. My biggest issue with the Vortechs is that the flow direction can't really be controlled. I don't think them being quieter is much of a game changer.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well here's the first video of the new Vortech that I pinched from R2R

https://www.facebook.com/crackischeaper

I'm not impressed because I see this as a necessary product improvement, hopefully identifing the correct bearings for the dry side. Should have happened years ago. However, I do appreciate doing whatever they can do to make news to fend off the gyre effect. I'm still waiting for the price point.

My guess is this is the real reason for the lower price. Prices for everything always comes down when the new and improved item cones out.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, I watched the whole thing. They claimed 40% more flow than the "old" MP40. With that difference, I think they would have been better served by branding with a different name....say MP50.

And HERE is the actual YouTube so you don't have to go into that guys facebook, or whatever it was.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
My guess is this is the real reason for the lower price. Prices for everything always comes down when the new and improved item cones

It couldn't be the thousands of Gyres sold the past few months. Funny how they have a Gyre mode now.

In mp defense....have you taken they gyre apart to clean yet? What a PIA!!! The YouTube video is not good as it goes way too fast to see what's really going on.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
How does it create gyre mode with 1 pump? I'm guessing you need 2 pumps with 1 placed lower than the other one.

there is a discussion about this on nano-reef.

someone pointed out the "gyre mode" has always been a function and that ecotech just renamed the long pulse mode. its gyre mode needs a minimum of 2 pumps on each side of the tank. lol