• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Is this a good deal?

kevin

NJRC Member
How does this sound for $250obo ?

45-Gallon Marineland Cube aquarium with a black cabinet. The filter fits in the cabinet.

Includes

a Wet/Dry Sump with a built-in protien skimmer
a night/day light
all necessary pumps
one powerhead

Pictures available upon request. Pick-up only.

The price is negiotable.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Kevin I moved this over hear because it sounds like you are ready to plan out and build your tank.

The price is good but just a few comments:

I would find out how old it is and what condition the tank and stand are in.
It the tank drilled or it is a HOB overflow that goes to the wet dry sump?
If it is a true wet dry sump you do not want those, they are outdated at this point.
What kind of protein skimmer?
What does night/day light mean? It is power compact, t5, MH, or led?
What kind of pumps are they, how old are they?
What powerhead.

Honestly if the tank and stand are in good shape I would just take those and get rid of the other stuff (depending on what they are). When planning a reef tank you don't want to make mistakes or cut corners in the beginning or you will forever be trying to correct them.

I agree with that find out more information. If it is new or nearly new then nice price.
If old and the pumps/powerheads are junk then better to start fresh.

kevin

NJRC Member
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of also. I was mainly interested in the tank/stand itself. I'll try to get more information. So far I haven't got a response, but it's only been up today!

You could PM Will at Aquarium Obsessed, one of the clubs sponsors, and ask for a quote on a brand new 45 cube and stand. You may find it is cost effetive enough to go new on this size tank. Especially if the rest of the equipment is older and not up to par. The "built in skimmer" term allways worries me! I like a substantial skimmer and few "built ins" measure up IMO.

kevin

NJRC Member
Baxreefs said:
You could PM Will at Aquarium Obsessed, one of the clubs sponsors, and ask for a quote on a brand new 45 cube and stand. You may find it is cost effetive enough to go new on this size tank. Especially if the rest of the equipment is older and not up to par. The "built in skimmer" term allways worries me! I like a substantial skimmer and few "built ins" measure up IMO.

Will do! no pun intended :)

kevin

NJRC Member
I messaged AqOb, hopefully that's Will, LOL. His store was one of the next stores on my lists to visit, besides Captivating Coral. Making my rounds!

kevin

NJRC Member
I sent him an e-mail! Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the store this sunday to check it out.

JRWOHLER said:
Was there last night he has a couple cube tanks in stock pretty nice. He is one of the good guys out there.

Yes I agree! Will's a good LFS owner and a great club supporter!

I do not get to shop there often as it is pretty far for me. But I am buying a Deep Blue 150g RR from him real soon!

kevin

NJRC Member
Possible bad news. I've been reading about tank weight and everything. I went to ask the people at the office of my complex and she wasn't sure if 45g was allowed. She knows it's allowed in the basement.. but I'm on the 2nd floor. She said she has to contact corporate to see what is allowed.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Not the end of the world, you can still have a lot of fun with smaller tanks. There are plenty of options out there.

mnat said:
Not the end of the world, you can still have a lot of fun with smaller tanks. There are plenty of options out there.

+1
I had a 20g high for years, and loved that tank, and we have a 12g nano now that we really like.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Better to have found out before you installed it otherwise your display would become a sump in your downstairs neighbors apartment. ;)

Bob

kevin

NJRC Member
magic said:
Better to have found out before you installed it otherwise your display would become a sump in your downstairs neighbors apartment. ;)

Bob

haha, very true. I'm going to stop by after work to see if they found any info out!

I gotta think that, unless the place is built of tooth pics, it'll hold a 45! In any second floor placement, always look for a supported wall to set any size tank against.

But, they may have a specific policy regrding tank size. If it's not in the lease, set it up!

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
kevin said:
Possible bad news. I've been reading about tank weight and everything. I went to ask the people at the office of my complex and she wasn't sure if 45g was allowed. She knows it's allowed in the basement.. but I'm on the 2nd floor. She said she has to contact corporate to see what is allowed.
Kev, I have had a 45gl and now a 40 breeder with 20gl sump on my 2nd floor for over 2 years now and my house is over 110 yrs old.. the only thing i did was to add a 3/4 plywood just a bit bigger under the stand just to spread out the weight a bit more due to my floor joist running horizontal to the tank.. i also added some pre finished hardwood flooring on the ply so it looked nice

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Baxreefs said:
I gotta think that, unless the place is built of tooth pics, it'll hold a 45! In any second floor placement, always look for a supported wall to set any size tank against.

But, they may have a specific policy regrding tank size. If it's not in the lease, set it up!
I would even ask them about waterbeds

kevin

NJRC Member
Baxreefs said:

LOL. Well, the complex is only 5 yrs old. Hopefully they'll have a answer when I stop by today. I would REALLY like to place it in my 3rd floor loft(aka mancave), lol. That might be pushing it though! I'm sure something will work out. I supposed I should of inquired about this before I started getting myself crazy into research! I just never thought about weight being a factor.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Think about it this way:

45g of water at 8.5 pounds per gallon: 382.5 pounds
Tank itself with stand: Maybe 60 pounds (Totally making this number up, all I know is I can carry the tank by myself so it can't be that heavy)
Sand and rock 75 pounds roughly

Total: 517 pounds, lets round up and say 550 pounds

On a couch you have 3 guys at 183 pounds average, then add in the weight of the couch. Do you ever worry about crashing down into the apartment below you? Think about how much your fridge weighs.