• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Is this a good deal?

kevin

NJRC Member
Gaskets are on the both sides. I will try just on the wet side. The durso has the male on the inside. The return has the male on the outside.
I'll look at home depot for other pplumbing . Dont really know what I'm exactly looking for .
Appreciate the response !

Sent from my HTC Glacier

Buy a "schedule 40 bulkhead" from a lfs or online. (less than $10)
Buy a small piece of appropriate pvc from hd or lowes. ($3)
Buy a coupler of appropriate size from hd or lowes. ($0.50)
Install bulkhead.
Cut pvc to length and attach to durso with coupler.
Stick durso in bulkead.
If needed repeat steps for return.
Sleep at night.

kevin

NJRC Member
Haha.. will do will! Do you have Live rock , I forgot if i saw it or not

Sent from my HTC Glacier

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
.... gaskets normally go on the "wet" side of plumbing.

I know this was posted three weeks ago, but for bulkheads, gaskets ALWAYS go on the flange side. It also doesn't matter which way they are installed, as far as them holding a good water-tight seal , but again, the gasket is always with the flange, not on the nut side.

The "plumber's grease" I use is actually available at Leslie's Pools. It's called Leslie's Pool Lube. It is a non-petroleum based grease specifically made for rubber stuff. It's safe to use in your fish tanks. It also is the best deal....for about $7 you get a life-time supply....a big tube of the stuff. If you go to HD or Lowe's, you get a small tube of plumber's grease for 10-12 bucks. Only give the gaskets a light coat of grease. If there is excess grease, the gaskets have a tendency to squeeze out.

kevin

NJRC Member
I know this was posted three weeks ago, but for bulkheads, gaskets ALWAYS go on the flange side. It also doesn't matter which way they are installed, as far as them holding a good water-tight seal , but again, the gasket is always with the flange, not on the nut side.

The "plumber's grease" I use is actually available at Leslie's Pools. It's called Leslie's Pool Lube. It is a non-petroleum based grease specifically made for rubber stuff. It's safe to use in your fish tanks. It also is the best deal....for about $7 you get a life-time supply....a big tube of the stuff. If you go to HD or Lowe's, you get a small tube of plumber's grease for 10-12 bucks. Only give the gaskets a light coat of grease. If there is excess grease, the gaskets have a tendency to squeeze out.

I sadly found out about excess grease the hard way, lol. I see that on my durso it has some nicks in the beginning threads. I'm just going to get rid of it completely and try to make my own. The article TanksNStuff posted is quite helpful!

The return line has gaskets on both sides and it's not leaking at all. Should I be concerned ?

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That does have everything you need for a complete drain and return line, including a few extras like the screen to keep critters out and the loc-line for the return line. I think $50 is a bit expensive though.

kevin

NJRC Member
John over at ecotech sent me a new power supply and the lights are working fine now!
Although, my apex was acting funny. The main display was going VERY slow and sometimes unresponsive or having blank screens. None of my outlets were working too. Then all of a sudden it went back to normal except for the ports. I then noticed it added another module for no reason and more outlets. I erased them and all is fine. Now just need to fix the plumbing and i'll be good to go. Just ran the RO/DI and filled me up some water!

kevin

NJRC Member
finally got around to getting a new standpipe/durso/bulkhead. I went ahead and ordered one from dursostandpipes.com w/ 9" strainer. It works like a charm and doesn't leak. Now I just have to finish the underneath plumbing and pickup some live rock and I should be good to go.

IMAG0199.jpg

That does have everything you need for a complete drain and return line, including a few extras like the screen to keep critters out and the loc-line for the return line. I think $50 is a bit expensive though.

i built mine from "scratch" by finding the parts at Home depot and putting them together. Not as nice looking as the $50 version though.

finally got around to getting a new standpipe/durso/bulkhead. I went ahead and ordered one from dursostandpipes.com w/ 9" strainer. It works like a charm and doesn't leak. Now I just have to finish the underneath plumbing and pickup some live rock and I should be good to go.

why do you need more LR - it looks like plenty in the tank. Just get some of that biospira stuff to get the cycle/seeded it.

kevin

NJRC Member
i built mine from "scratch" by finding the parts at Home depot and putting them together. Not as nice looking as the $50 version though.

Yeah, I wasn't confident enough to do it right by myself the first time.

why do you need more LR - it looks like plenty in the tank. Just get some of that biospira stuff to get the cycle/seeded it.

I read/heard it was better to start out with dry rock & seed it with some live rock.

I read/heard it was better to start out with dry rock & seed it with some live rock.

Hmmm - I would be patient and seed everything with biospira. This way you control exactly the bacteria that is going into the tank and nothing else. You could also seed the tank with "live" sand purchased from the LFS.

When i bought LR (from a fellow club member) I ended up introducing vermatid snails accidentally. Also tiny limpets made it into my system (that now constantly clog my skimmer). On the other hand I also got tiny mico stars that now are all over my tank and helping to eat up left over food.

In the end I rushed the LR purchase and while some is postive, overall I feel like I went thru a lot of stress later.

So whatever LR you get - you may just get both beneficial hitchers and non. Just keep that in mind.

kevin

NJRC Member
Hmmm - I would be patient and seed everything with biospira. This way you control exactly the bacteria that is going into the tank and nothing else. You could also seed the tank with "live" sand purchased from the LFS.

When i bought LR (from a fellow club member) I ended up introducing vermatid snails accidentally. Also tiny limpets made it into my system (that now constantly clog my skimmer). On the other hand I also got tiny mico stars that now are all over my tank and helping to eat up left over food.

In the end I rushed the LR purchase and while some is postive, overall I feel like I went thru a lot of stress later.

So whatever LR you get - you may just get both beneficial hitchers and non. Just keep that in mind.

I appreciate the advice. I'm def. not in a rush for anything. I enjoy slowly putting this together. I'll have to look more into it.

howze01

NJRC Member
If you need some live sand I can donate a bit from my 30. I was going to combine some of that and some from CJ's tank for a little diversity. I have some rubble that you can snatch a few pieces of too.

kevin

NJRC Member
If you need some live sand I can donate a bit from my 30. I was going to combine some of that and some from CJ's tank for a little diversity. I have some rubble that you can snatch a few pieces of too.

awesome!

kevin

NJRC Member
fiancee taking a picture as I setup the vortech's
I guess I should make a build thread, lol.

387748_10150405476821360_556316359_8898902_1958660951_n.jpg

Attachments

• 387748_10150405476821360_556316359_8898902_1958660951_n.jpg
    387748_10150405476821360_556316359_8898902_1958660951_n.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 18