• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Is this a Scroll Coral?

It's not like I didn't pick up enough goodies at the swap on Saturday or anything. ::)

Yesterday I took a ride to Trop, JUST to look, mind you, and found this coral:
ScrollCoral1.jpg

I couldn't resist. But I don't really know what it is. Is this a scroll coral? If so, are they SPS or LPS? I placed it midway, very good flow. Do you think that's a good place for it?

Thanks for helping. :)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks like a scroll to me. Mine is mid way in the tank in high flow and it seems happy enough.

Thank you kindly, Phyl. :) I'll leave it where it is then.

What is their growth rate?

They are considered LPS, right? If so, I really don't understand why because they "feel" just like a SPS.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would call it an SPS not an LPS (hobbyist term relating to skin/polyp, so open to interpetation). I think most people would agree. It doesn't have anything that you would call "fleshy" and the polyps, while sparse, are still quite "SPS" like.

Mine has grown noticably in the last year. I'd say probably an additional 2" to the overall size of it, though some report slower growth. In Hef's tank (where it started), it hardly grew at all, which is odd because everything else grew.

With that logic in mind you should see no noticable change for the next 7 years. ;D

Phyl said:
With that logic in mind you should see no noticable change for the next 7 years. ;D

:eek: Gulp! :eek:

I need to make a mental note already NOT to have a mouthful of anything when I read your responses, Phyl. All too many times I end up spitting stuff out because I'm laughing so hard.

Yep, that's what you call a microscopic slow grower then.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
All kidding aside, it will probably be the size of a bread plate in no time at all for you, considering how fast everything else in your tank grows!

Wnedy yes that is a yellow scroll coral , i have mine in the mid low side of the tank with med flow , to me it grows very slow once again the way everything grows in your tank it would be 2 inchs in 5 months , it took me 2 years for mine to get to 3 by 2 from a 3/4 frag .

JerseyWendy said:
It's not like I didn't pick up enough goodies at the swap on Saturday or anything. ::)

Yesterday I took a ride to Trop, JUST to look, mind you, and found this coral:
ScrollCoral1.jpg

I couldn't resist. But I don't really know what it is. Is this a scroll coral? If so, are they SPS or LPS? I placed it midway, very good flow. Do you think that's a good place for it?

Thanks for helping. :)

LOL wendy I have to drop my son off at college today, so I was thinking of stopping at trop on my way home. When i get down in the dumps buying myself something makes me feel better ;) did they have anything worth while up there?

Hirobo said:
LOL wendy I have to drop my son off at college today, so I was thinking of stopping at trop on my way home. When i get down in the dumps buying myself something makes me feel better ;) did they have anything worth while up there?

So sorry for the late reply, Mike. The day you were taking your son back, I was picking mine up. So I know you picked up that lettuce sea slug....the one that got acquainted with your PH rather quickly. Did you get anything else?

When I stopped in, they had some really nice ORA frags still (Borealis, Oregon Tort, etc.)

JerseyWendy said:
Hirobo said:

So sorry for the late reply, Mike. The day you were taking your son back, I was picking mine up. So I know you picked up that lettuce sea slug....the one that got acquainted with your PH rather quickly. Did you get anything else?

When I stopped in, they had some really nice ORA frags still (Borealis, Oregon Tort, etc.)
i gots this
101_0054.jpg

This
101_0057.jpg

And This
101_0058.jpg

cant remeber what they are though LOL