• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Is this normal, my new noisy vortech pump

I have my new pump i bought at manhattan reefs swap. it is really noisy, i did what the directions said, twist it, move it left, right etc. i have it set at pulse, but the vibration sound is loud in my family room. is this normal?

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
i had the same issue when i first got mine. You have to make sure the rubber boot on the outside is turned to the correct glass thinkness and lined up perfectly straight.

Me too renee.

Mine vibrated and also ran hot... really hot. After adjusting it, the heat issue went away and now it's as quiet as can be.

I guess that's why the instructions warn you about the vibration. Otherwise everyone would probably return them right away or not buy them at all.

It's a great "one directional" powerhead, once you get it working right.

I have mine for more than year now. The rubber boot that is over the motor can be adjusted according to the thickness of the aquarium. You may need to take the boot off and move it a little. The boot is actually thicker in some parts, so try that. After you do that you can have install the two pieces on the glass. You may need to rotate the motor until the sound goes away. I will find it when you hear it.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Renee

When I first installed my Vortech it also made noise. You have to turn the flow all the way up and rotate the wet side assembly until the vibration is minimized. The noise may not go away completely it has to seat itself which may take a couple of days and a little additional tweaking.

Bob

OK, it took a week, then finally settled down. I did everything I could the first day, but I guess it just had to wear in.\ thanks

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mine are quiet as a church mouse. I have to try and hear them. There are many things on my tank that are noiser including the air intake and discharge of the skimmer and so on.