• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Is this safe to use?

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
image.jpg picked up a used tank on Sunday. (What a lovely couple). I had the tank filled to loosen thick buildup on back glass and overflow box. I got concerned when I emptied the water today. The vertical caulking, and the complete bottom caulking is floppy. Is this safe to use? Don’t need 75g on the floor one day. If it’s not safe, then I’ll get a new tank at reef -a -palooza

If it was a 10g I'd say go for it but we're talking about 700lbs of water, it would always be something I'd worry about.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My experience with glass is super easy to recaulk. Remove everything you can. No do not separate pains. I am presently using four tanks that I recaulked. I trust them 100 percent. If you are uncomfortable with doing it yourself. I will look at it for you. And I highly recommend GE silicone one. You can get it everywhere and is 100 percent safe even Home Depot caries it Much cheaper then brands stamped reef safe

I hear you. And am not disagreeing. However. Unless your buying a high end glass box. I have seen many poor seems on cheap Petco style ones that leak. Never had one I sealed leak. I am by no means a pro tank builder. But I feel people worry way to much about repairing silicone. The correct silicone sticks so well to glass it difficult to take off. But for anyone that doesn’t understand there is no magic to it I completely can see why a new tank would make them feel more confident and that peace of mind is definitely worth the 100 bucks

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Thank you! I bought GE caulk to caulk in the panels in my 40B to make it a sump. I'll use that on the tank on Sunday/Monday. It's a beautiful tank. Want to make it look brand new again.

It shouldn’t be an issue. It will be as good as the factory sealant. If you have any acrylic, pieces, you can sharpen it on a grinder, it makes a great scraper that doesn’t scratch the glass. Don’t use metal scrapers. Plastic works, but it dulls quickly and needs resharpening often. Acrylic is preferable.