• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

It has to be done.... Selling my tank

howze01

NJRC Member
So I have talked to a few people here about it and I think the time has come. My tank crashed (and CJs) and we can't figure out why. I lost a lot of zoos and palys. Clam is fine and so are the fish but I just don't have it in me to do this all over again. So, it's going to be someone else's gain. Figured I would post it in here before anywhere else to give my favorite reefers an opportunity. Honesly, I would rather just sell the whole thing at once. Corals, Fish, rock, and all the hardware. So in case you don't know what it is, it's a 50g breeder tank. 36x18x18. It's my 2nd tank and I assure you I pretty much spared no expense. From the top down, I'm running 2 AI Sol Blues, 3 MP10esw, a glass-holes 750 gph overflow, a 20l sump with a Bubble Magus 3.5, a JBJ controllable heater, and a Sicce Syncra 5.0. There's about 50lbs of rock in the tank along with 40ish lbs of sand. Both from ReefRocks.net. The fuge has some sand and about 15lbs or so of rock.

Livestock includes everything. Any zoas and palys that are left. To be honest I don't even know what that is. It pains me to even look. (I do, however, know that Mnat's Tangelos are alive and well so you can wrestle him for them.) For fish I have a pair of Clowns. Female is a Picasso and male is a Black and White Occ. A Red Fairy Wrasse (Cirhilabrus Rubriventralis I think) and a Barnacle Blenny. 3 (maybe 2 now, not sure) Red Firefish and lastly, my favorites of the tank, a breeding pair of Harlequin Shrimp. There are also some awesome macros in the sump. Flame Algae, Blue Otchodes and some others, really not sure what though. I just looked in the tank and it seems that there are still plenty of zoos in there. Anyone that knows me will tell you that I had some of the nicest around and there are plenty left in there. Also, there are 2 clams in there. A little Blue Crocea and a big Squamosa (originally from Olivier). Not sure if the big Squamy is included or not yet though. most imprtantly you will also inherit some hair algae. Not bad at all at this point but I just haven't wanted to deal with it.

So, after all that, you're wondering how much. Well, I really just want it gone so I don't have to feel terrible anymore. So, I'm taking a HUGE loss and saying $1500. The lights and MPs alone are almost worth that. I can get into the particulars of usage on all of the equipment (how long, etc) if someone is interested. To be honest, I'm willing to negotiate a bit but I'm just listing it as low as I can in hopes someone will PM me tonight and jump on it. Please PM me or ask any questions you have here. Thanks.

This is the newest FTS I have. If anyone wants certain pics let me know.

7359432160_26444c9ce6_z.jpg

I was wondering what happened to you, your usually very active in posting, sorry to hear. Hope the sales goes well and when you get the bug set another tank up.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ugh. Always sad to hear these stories... but it's hard to believe I'm hearing it from you Jonathan. :(

Good luck with the sale and hope to still see you guys around the forums.

kevin

NJRC Member
I'm sorry John! That really sucks :( :( Hopefully you'll return one day!!! If it doesn't sell as a whole and you part out I'll take the blennies.

Sick that you have to go this way. I wish I was in position to take the whole thing, I was just planning on bigger. With that said, of you decide to part it out let me know. I could use a few things namely a mp10 and Mabye the sicce 5.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I was just think about that I havent seen you in a while. I dont know what to say Jon, I am really sorry to hear this. Try to think long and hard about getting out all together as you know in 6 months you will get the desire to get back in and it will cost you triple. If there is anything you need please LMK.

Jon,

so sorry man. think it through, I know it stings a lot but your going to want to get back into it eventually.

If you really want to get out of it just sell your live stock and put the tank, lights, and pumps away for a couple months. If you still dont want to get back into it then sell it, but if you feel lke you do want to get back into it, then you already have the equipment!

Good luck with whatever you do and if you need any help just let me know!

kevin

NJRC Member
Jon,

so sorry man. think it through, I know it stings a lot but your going to want to get back into it eventually.

If you really want to get out of it just sell your live stock and put the tank, lights, and pumps away for a couple months. If you still dont want to get back into it then sell it, but if you feel lke you do want to get back into it, then you already have the equipment!

Good luck with whatever you do and if you need any help just let me know!

^^^^^

Man that sucks such a beautiful collection hopefully you reconsider and stick with it I know it's tuff and I wish I had the words to make it better but if you decide to stick with it I got a free frag of Rastas for ya...

+1^^^^^^^^^^

For what it is worth... I agree with the others in you might want to take a little time to digest everything and then if you really don't want to stay in the hobby sell of the dry goods (light/filter/tank/rocks/etc).

I've been really bummed out by my setup for like 2 years now and it was more chore than excitement.. not saying there was no excitement, but the ups were tiny and the downs deep. But, I slowly setup a small nano and have been moving stuff over in the past six month or so. It's just really rekindled my enjoyment/experience, so maybe cook the rocks for 2-3 months (or more), sell the live stuff and see what happens?

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jon, there are 3 easy steps to fix this problem.

Step One: Ditch that damn ESV salt!!!
Step Two: Run fish only for a while.
Step Thee: Let your friends here on NJRC hook you up with a few frags! ;)

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Don't sell, stick it out or as others have said just sell the livestock.

howze01

NJRC Member
Thank you to everybody. Believe me when I say that this is not a decision made in haste. I've been looking at the tank for weeks and it's just gettting harder and harder. The good thing is that (for now) CJ is sticking with it. If I need a fix I just have to look at his tank. I haven't been around here because it just reminded me how crappy this is.

Not really looking to part out even though I'm sure I can get more $$ that way. If I don't hear anything in the next day or two I will post over on MR or RC. Like I said though I'd rather see things go to my real reef friends here. Thanks again for all the offers of help, it really means a lot to me. Now buy my stuff!! ;)

I respect your decision, but I am BOOing you anyway. BOO.
I know you said your decision is made, but I wish you would reconsider.
Please consider calling Ethan at AO. He fixed our tank problems in a matter of weeks. We had an improperly calibrated refractomer (courtesy of me) that was throwing everything else off. I never would have figured that out on my own. If the tank doesn't rebound, and then you make the same decision, but how will you feel if you find out in a few months that it was something simple, and that your tank could be back where it was again in a matter of weeks?

howze01

NJRC Member
I'm booing myself Nikki.

I'm not ignoring anyone, just have someone interested in the setup. If it doesn't work out I will get you all.

C'mon mystery buyer! You know you want it!!!!! Come on guys, talk him into it!

Jonathan I'm in the same boat as you man, I think I am going to let my tank go as well. My tank was doing great and then all a sudden the corals went down hill. Definitely don't have the time or patience to get back in it.

If you decide to part out my cousin would take an AI Sol Blue w/ controller though!

Best of luck w/ whatever you decide!