• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

It's all gone!!!!

I woke up this morning to a funny smell throughout the house. I went straight to my tank and sure enough that where it was coming from. All my coral are dead! I can't figure out what happened. Everything looked fine before the lights went out. This sucks!!!!

Aaron man sorry to hear... bro if there is something I can do or hold anything for you let me know. Check all equipment if its working .. Sad day man as I know that your collection is way up there... keep us updated aaron ..

OMG!
Aaron, ??? so sorry. We can hook you up with frags to help you get started again when your tank is ready! Give us a call

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
WOW. Sorry to hear this Aaron. When you're ready to rebuild, LMK.

Thanks everyone for the offers. You guys know I'm not going anywhere I'm to addicted to this hobby. Anyone have any advice for me? What should I do to get this starightened out? I haven't done or added anything to the tank in a while. The lights were changed a couple of weeks ago but I don't think that would cause this to happen. All my equipment was working fine. The only thing I did yesterday was change my filter socks and feed the fish some artic pods.

Wow, so sorry Aaron. Anything I've ever gotten from you is here for you when it grows out.

What's the tank temperature? Check your probes to make sure they're working.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Damn man :( . That tank was beautiful.

Before you start again, we need to definitely figure out what happened first (duh right). Is there anything that could have introduced an electric current into the tank? Was the power off last night? Did you change that sock right before bed? Could there have been something or some residue on the sock? How did you clean it? Washing machine? There's gotta be some type of clue there somewhere. How are the fish? It's gonna be tough to decipher anything from testing as there is probably so much organics in the water the ammonia and nitrates will be high. What was the last pH, alk, ca reading? CO2 will quickly drop pH. Is there a calcuim reactor under the stand and is the CO2 bottle now empty? (leaked out quickly)

Looking for clues buddy

Good Luck!

RichT said:
Damn man :( . That tank was beautiful.

Before you start again, we need to definitely figure out what happened first (duh right). Is there anything that could have introduced an electric current into the tank? Was the power off last night? Did you change that sock right before bed? Could there have been something or some residue on the sock? How did you clean it? Washing machine? There's gotta be some type of clue there somewhere. How are the fish? It's gonna be tough to decipher anything from testing as there is probably so much organics in the water the ammonia and nitrates will be high. What was the last pH, alk, ca reading? CO2 will quickly drop pH. Is there a calcuim reactor under the stand and is the CO2 bottle now empty? (leaked out quickly)

Looking for clues buddy

Good Luck!

The power didn't go out last night. I'm not sure of any electrical current going through the tank. I have a ground probe thats suppose to prevent that. No calcium reactor I dose the two part manually. I haven't tested in 2 weeks but when I did everything was fine. The filter socks could have been my problem now that I think about it. I changed the sock around 5pm. I normally wash them in the washing machine with a little bleach and then do a second rinse with just hot water. After there are done I let them dry and bring them upstairs. This time I left them in the basement and the cat was sleeping in the bin with them. My cat is an indoor/outdoor cat and maybe she tracked something in. The fish appear to be ok for now.

Aaron, so sorry to hear :( if you need anything let me know, I'm here for you bro....

2 things come to mind, like Rich said did you use anything to clean the filter pad like bleach? Also did the pods have a smell to them before you put them in the tank? I have heard a few people have problems with that type of food, it can go bad quickly and without knowing it your putting it into the tank and it can cause a ammonia spike.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Aaron, I'm really sorry to hear this. Like everyone else said, when you're ready to start reintroducing corals, let us know. We'll definitely help you back on track.

MikeNapoli said:
Wow, so sorry Aaron. Anything I've ever gotten from you is here for you when it grows out.

What's the tank temperature? Check your probes to make sure they're working.

The temp was around 80 degrees. I need to check the temp probe it been about a year.

mott768 said:
Aaron, so sorry to hear :( if you need anything let me know, I'm here for you bro....

2 things come to mind, like Rich said did you use anything to clean the filter pad like bleach? Also did the pods have a smell to them before you put them in the tank? I have heard a few people have problems with that type of food, it can go bad quickly and without knowing it your putting it into the tank and it can cause a ammonia spike.

The pods smell fine. Like I said the pads might be the cause. I'm planning on doing some big water chages for next couple of days and running alot of carbon. Is there anything else I should do?

raider77 said:
mott768 said:
The pods smell fine. Like I said the pads might be the cause. I'm planning on doing some big water chages for next couple of days and running alot of carbon. Is there anything else I should do?

check for ammonia, I'd also recommend running some poly filter in addition to the carbon

I have 4 fish in the tank and they appear to be fine. I kept zoas and sps. There were a few lps frogspawn,chalices and candy cane.

If all the water parameters check out you might have had a temp spike

I've cleaned my filter socks with Bleach, double rinse with no problems
I only use a small amount of bleach ( septic systems where I live and bleach is a no no)
again sorry to hear about the loss
I can spare a frag or 2 LMK

That's auwful and a nightmare! :eek:

You've got to put the detective hat on and figure out what the heck happened!

If you in north NJ I can offer some frags when you're ready.

Really sorry!

Thanks again everyone for the offers.It feels good to part of a club with so many people willing to help you out :-*! I took a look at my ground probe and the metal tip is missing from it.I don't know how this happened considering it doesn't get touched. Could this release electricity into my tank?

Aaron sorry to hear this. Did you smell anything besides the dead coral like burnt smells or anything like that. Years ago alot of people were haveing problems with Rio power heads burning up and polluting the tank, killing things. Wondering if something like this happen but you said all equipment is working?