• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

It's Almost Here...

Okay folks, I'm new to this whole forum thing and posting blogs and such. But I would like to have a totally self centered moment if I may. In just a few days my 40th birthday arrives. I know that my mate, or as I like to say "Husbear" has lots of big plans. (As if he has a choice...) And, I know there has been some discussion amongst our many friends of how well I'm going to take turning 40. Well, for all of you 40-plussers out there, thank you for reminding me that it's not big deal. And, for all of you under 40...STOP NOW...IT'S HORRIBLE!! I haven't slept in days because I can feel the 40-ness creeping upon me in the night!! It's like I hit a giant oil slick at 35 and have been skidding right down hill towards the grave! (And extra points for any of you who get that reference!!)
No, seriously, for the record, it's not turning 40 that has gotten under my skin. In fact, I'm darn glad I've lived this long. I know a lot of people who didn't. No, what is bothering me just a little is that all of a sudden I'm 40. How the heck did it happen?!? Yikes!!! It's a good thing Pete-fest starts this weekend or I might be majorly depressed! lol Cheers everyone!!!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You'll survive it just fine, I'm sure. I still forget I'm ... ??? Oh shoot, I forgot.

Sierra looked at me the other day and said "Oh I forgot you were old, I thought you were still 39"! Oh thanks, hon!

Anyway, don't sweat it and enjoy the big weekend!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You're turning 40 this weekend AND will be at the meeting? That's great, it'll give us an excuse to drink!

Happy B-day, Pete. Turning 40 was no biggie for me. I will say though, that my metabolism came to a screaching halt and I packed on like 25#'s :mad:

C'ya Saturday.

I just did 40 a few months ago, no biggie... just a number,

"I'm growing older but not up
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck
So let the winds of change blow over my head
I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead".

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
JohnS_323 said:
You're turning 40 this weekend AND will be at the meeting? That's great, it'll give us an excuse to drink!

Happy B-day, Pete. Turning 40 was no biggie for me. I will say though, that my metabolism came to a screaching halt and I packed on like 25#'s :mad:

C'ya Saturday.

Actually his birthday is 3/20 First day of Spring, but Pete likes to celebrate what we affectionaly call PETE-FEST. Pete-Fest starts on the Sunday of the week of his birthday and runs until the following Sunday. So he claims to have a birth-week, not a birthday.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I feel for you Pete. Tomorrow I will be half way through my 40's. On Saturday, I'll be closer to 50 then 40! :(

momof6kids

NJRC Member
I keep telling people the secret to staying young is to have 6 children but no one wants to take me up on that. ;D

When you are young, you want to be the master of your fate and the captain of your soul. When you are older, you will settle for being the master of your weight and the captain of your bowling team.

The new 25, I like that! ::)

Tch Tch Tch, you kids don't get it!!!!!!!!

Getting older IS GETTING BETTER...The grandkids were over last weekend and I had a ball spoiling 'em as I usually do. Then just as they started to become a handful, I brought them home to their Moms and Dads. ;D....Take That Erna :p LOL

Or how 'bout this..."Umm, there's a Group Buy coming up AND my favorite LFS just got the greatest pair of Bellus Angels in, and I want them, but I guess the kids' (you pick one) orthodontist has to be paid, their tuition is due etc.etc.etc." At my golden, liberated age, the answer is "Nah Nah Nah" as I now own the Bellus Angels and participated in the GB. 8)

Besides, I get the best of both worlds since I am only only 16, yup 16, having been born on Feb.29 in a Leap Year.

So all you young 'uns, enjoy each day, month and year as they will bring lots of joy and surprises that will keep you young regardless of what the caledar (and your enemies) say.

Dom

I am generally happier at 48 than I was at 24. There are fewer adventures, some parts don't work as well as they used to, but I am more secure and there's not much in my life I can't handle. I honestly believe if most people could go back they wouldn't.
I am reminded of a clever sig line that used to be floating around:
"We have enough youth! What we need is a fountain of SMART!"

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Great signature and sooooo true (both your observations and the tag line).

My husband made a HUGE deal about turning "dreaded" number, and I laughed at him, being 2 years younger. He constantly reminded me that things were going to go downhill - to wait and see. Sure enough, the day after his birthday he threw out his back. I told him he'd better start thinking positively. (That was nearly 5 years ago)

So needles to say THAT birthday has come and gone for me and my philosophy is that age is only a number, and I refuse to grow up completely. ;D Every year I celebrate my 39th....and will do so for the rest of my life. :-[

---
Wendy

momof6kids

NJRC Member
"Every year I celebrate my 39th....and will do so for the rest of my life. " LOL

Wendy, I have a dear friend who celebrated her 29th birthday every year. I miss her a lot, this year she and her husband moved to Georgia to be near her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. You would never think she was a day older than 50. ;D

Well folks, Thanks for all your great posts!!! Here we are, Sunday 16 March, 2008 a.k.a. the first night of PeteFest '08! I'm sitting here on my couch,in my jammies, my huzbear next to me, a cat between us. We've had a great dinner, and are sipping on our 2nd martini of the evening while we watch Family Guy in HD! Does it get any better than this? What a great way to start PeteFest!Cheers!