• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I've got a problem - Do you have a solution?

Hi,
I started our reef tank about 2 years ago in a High school chemistry class in Mercer County. The tank has been doing well and the students do water testing, etc., fish selection, and general care of the tank. Recently we got new lights (LED Panels) and the tank is brighter than ever and the fish and softies in the tank are still thriving, but we are faced with a problem.
There is some kind of tan colored webbing on the sand and the generation of thousands of bubbles when the lights are left on for a normal day. Once the lights go off, the next morning there are no bubbles. We have left the lights off for a week, as was suggested by a nearby fish store, and this helped, but when we began the regular lighting program again, the bubbles have returned. The bubbles cover much of the live rock and a large area of the sand on the bottom.
I'll try to get pictures, but someone may know what the problem is just from the description. What do you think? Have any suggestions?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Google dinoflagellates for a picture to see if it resembles what you have. From your description I would say that's it. If so siphon out what you can when you do water changes. Some has had success dosing hydrogen peroxide for Dino's. I would suggest looking up some info on that to see if you think it will work in your application.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You have an excess nutrient problem. My guess is cyanobacteria....and if not that, some other algae. What you are seeing are oxygen bubbles created by photosysthesis.

Clean up your water. You can do this by running a skimmer, performing water changes, using chemicals such as GFO and carbon and others (ie chemipure), have a refugium with cheato or some other macro algae to absorb the nitrates and phosphates, run biopellets.

Most of use do a number of the above things to keep nitrates and phosphates in check.

Here's a picture of cyano with oxygen bubbles attached:

Cyanobacteria_2.jpg

EDIT TO ADD: I was typing while Kevin answered above....could potentially be dino's as well. HERE's a good read from Dr. Randy.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hi Sam, been wondering how the class tank was coming along. Would love to see some updated pictures if you can.

I think the two suggestions of either dinos or cyano are your best bets. In either case, the excess nutrients is likely feeding the nuisance so to eliminate them that's where you start your correction. Paul (redfishbluefish) covered the better, most common methods for that.

The reason you see all the bubbles during the day (when lights are on) is because they feed through photosynthesis, which releases oxygen as part of that process. This is why reducing light schedules can help in eliminating them.

After briefing through Randy's article that Paul linked, it seems like raising pH is a good method to get rid of them too. Adding peroxide (H2O2) can help raise pH, but adding an Alk buffer (like baking soda dissolved in water, or a premade retail product) can also raise pH.

Anyway, do some research on these two issues and see which might be what you have before trying to fix it. Good luck!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
.............but adding an Alk buffer (like baking soda dissolved in water, or a premade retail product) can also raise pH.

I'd like to just add a warning and a bit of advice. Do not raise alkalinity more than 1 dKH per day. If you wish to use an "alk" buffer, I would recommend soda ash (sodium carbonate) over baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Soda ash has a slightly higher pH and is a stronger alkali then baking soda.

Paul you should give your baking soda baking lesson should go over good for a science class.:p

I'll provide the mini lesson right here. You can simply make sodium carbonate by taking baking soda and spreading it on a cookie sheet. Place this in a 300 degree oven for an hour. Remove and let cool. You now have soda ash....a stronger alkali that will raise pH easier. HERE is a link that shows how to make the "standard" alkalinity solution....post 1.

Thanks so much for your input. The picture is right on the money. If I choose to dose with some H2O2, how much is safe to use? I have regular hydrogen poeroxide as used in the store, and I have 30% for some labs. Does the concentration make it better or worse for the fish & softies? The sodium carbonate is available also, I could try either.

Last edited:
Hi Tans\ksNStuff,
Good to hear from you again. Here are a couple of pix of the tank. I like it, but Im always on the lookout for some more softies and the kids are saving now for some cheato to put in the sump.
image 1.jpgimage.jpg

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
You're going to want to use the. 3% from the store. The concentration recommended is 1ml per 10 gallons. I say to use the store brand because that is what I know the dosage for. I would also siphon out what you can during water changes.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looking good Sam! I've got plenty of chaeto that I could give you, but it would just be a matter of getting it to you. You could have it for free!

I would agree with everything Kschweer just said.