• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jäger heater question

I'm having a bit of an issue and could use a few opinions. I'm setting up my basement system and have water running but can't seem to bring up the temps. The system as of now is a 80 frag tank 65 gal refugium and 100gal stock tank. Total running is approximately 180gal. All tanks were filled straight from the rodi with cold water. All have been running at capacity for about 1week at 1.026 salinity. Ambient room temps are about 64*.

I currently have 1 300watt jäger in the stock tank in a high flow area and the highest temp I have recorded is 70.2*. More often then not the temp is about 69*. I would think that this heater could handle this. Am I wrong? Am I fighting uphill with the lower room temp. Or is there something wrong with the heater. Currently it is turned all the way up.
I fully intend to add heaters but was hoping to do so when I break down the 90gal.

Thanks in advance.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I have a 250w jager in my system and when ambient temps fell during the first cold wave we had (heating pipe burst during that time and was fixed until 48hrs later). it couldn't keep up. I then added 2 hydor theoterm 150w heaters to the mix and it sits at 77-79 effortlessly.

I would run 2 heaters just in the event one does fail if in fact that one hasn't already I run two 200 watt heaters on a 90 dt and 40 sump

John. I ran into the same issue. I currently have 3 400W heaters in the sump. and a 150W in the 80 gal frag tank. IT has been pretty steady but, i still have a few days where it will drop to 76. I am missing my Metal Halides.

I did intend on add a second heater but was hoping to not have to buy one. Just wanted to use the one I had in the 90. Guess I'll pick up a 2nd 300 tonight if I can get to hidden reef before they close.

horseplay

NJRC Member
The relationship between temp diff and wattage is kind of linear. So you have a 300 watt now which keeps the temp 5 degree higher than ambient. Another 300 watt will raise another 5 degrees.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I have 4 jäger 300w in my system. When I started I have 2 and temps did not go above 74 then I add one more was batter but still no brake for heaters so I add another so now at last it keeps temps around 77 without being always on. My sump and fuge is in basement and temps there in high 60is and temps outside so low is kind hard on your pocket.

I have 4 jäger 300w in my system. When I started I have 2 and temps did not go above 74 then I add one more was batter but still no brake for heaters so I add another so now at last it keeps temps around 77 without being always on. My sump and fuge is in basement and temps there in high 60is and temps outside so low is kind hard on your pocket.

I have a silly question. With 4 heaters, if one stuck in the on position, the other 3 should turn off at temp and the stuck one should not get hot enough too cook your tank? Especially during the winter? Does this make any sense?