• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jaebo WP25

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
My pump will not start after I use feed mode. I have to unplug it for a little while and then it starts again. Some instance I have to use a toothpick to get it going. I am assuming its just dirty and plan to clean it. Just wondering if it could be anything else.

Thanks,
Mark

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Did a vinegar / hot water cleaning for an hour and was not that dirty to me. The pump started up out of water but not when placed in the tank. I had to help start it then would stop and I helped again. This happened 3 or 4 times before it stayed on. One thing I noticed is that when plugging the power into control there was spark / light. I am concerned any thoughts? I will be feeding later to day so will see if the pump restarts after feed mode.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Did a vinegar / hot water cleaning for an hour and was not that dirty to me. The pump started up out of water but not when placed in the tank. I had to help start it then would stop and I helped again. This happened 3 or 4 times before it stayed on. One thing I noticed is that when plugging the power into control there was spark / light. I am concerned any thoughts? I will be feeding later to day so will see if the pump restarts after feed mode.

Agree they get dirty quickly. I always clean mine in hot water and vinegar as well. This is how I clean mine - I put in a bucket of hot water/vinegar and run it at full speed with the dial turned all the way to the right. I run that for 30min. I then turn the dial all the way to the left for another 30min. I then repeat the same but with just water no vinegar.

Yes when I plug my pumps in I get a small spark as well. Do note I have the RWs not the WP

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I forgot to mention I moved the pump 4 inched higher when it stayed on. Also, just fed the tank and the pump started up after feed mode finished.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I forgot to mention I moved the pump 4 inched higher when it stayed on. Also, just fed the tank and the pump started up after feed mode finished.

There was one time after a feeding my RW8 didn't power back on. I left it unplug for like 10min and it worked fine after that

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I agree with @Mark_C ....I rarely vinegar soak my powerheads, only if they are covered with coralline. If your pump is stalling, it's the biological scum on the magnet/inner motor housing. Take it apart and using an old toothbrush, clean off that scum.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Have to bring this up again. The pump was cleaned but every once and awhile it just stops and won't restart. I have to help it along.
This happens when in feed mode also. Is it on the way out or do I need to clean it again only better?

I had the same problem with the one I use to mix water, I Give the Blade a 1/4 turn on the turn power head back on usually works.... but I also had another one I use to force the blade to turn will plugged in ( not recommending but it works )... that's why I switched to the Vortechs never have that problem...

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I had the same problem with the one I use to mix water, I Give the Blade a 1/4 turn on the turn power head back on usually works.... but I also had another one I use to force the blade to turn will plugged in ( not recommending but it works )... that's why I switched to the Vortechs never have that problem...

I have to pull the pump out of the water and spin the impeller while plugged in to start it. Then I have to place it back in the tank in bracket all while water flowing every where until I adjust position.

No i use to Turn the one in my tank with my long tong or the long stick I use to stir up the sand always worked.... the blade was easy to turn still in tank