• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jawfish

New fish in the tank!

20130320_211825.jpg

Thanks John

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

So all the talk about fish in overflows , I just found my new jewfish in the damn overflow... Got him out hope there was no harm to him!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jewfish in an aquarium? I ask this with great ignorance. I use to spear these guys in the early 70's in Florida. The ones we would spear were in the grouper family. We were spearing small ones at around 70 - 80 pounds....but I believe they grew to 300 to 400 pounds. I just wouldn't expect to see these in a home aquarium.

EDIT TO ADD: I just re-read the earlier posts and now realize that it probably is simply a typo of JAW fish. I’m an idiot! Can you imagine this Jewfish in your aquarium:

soflgal-209399-albums-more-old-photos-pic75207-jewfish-late-40s.jpg

Last edited:

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
These are jawfish not jewfish. They are similar to a gobie. Here's a picture of what they are talking about.
6u4ery9a.jpg

I would however be interested to see a jewfish tank...lol

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Whoops my bad. Just saw the post you were referring to. Maybe just a typo cause I've never heard of a "small" jewfish.

Ok I know this is not politically correct but I could not resist. I am calling my rabbi (I am not Jewish but have many Jewish friends)

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ok I know this is not politically correct but I could not resist. I am calling my rabbi (I am not Jewish but have many Jewish friends)

Actually I think the name of the fish came from the fact that it was the largest common fish that Jewish folks could eat….something about having scales and fins, I think??? I’m sure if you google it you’ll find the origins of the fishes name.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Actually I think the name of the fish came from the fact that it was the largest common fish that Jewish folks could eat….something about having scales and fins, I think??? I’m sure if you google it you’ll find the origins of the fishes name.

Yea there are a few different "stories" about the name some nice some not so nice.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Jewfish in an aquarium? I ask this with great ignorance. I use to spear these guys in the early 70's in Florida. The ones we would spear were in the grouper family. We were spearing small ones at around 70 - 80 pounds....but I believe they grew to 300 to 400 pounds. I just wouldn't expect to see these in a home aquarium.

EDIT TO ADD: I just re-read the earlier posts and now realize that it probably is simply a typo of JAW fish. I’m an idiot! Can you imagine this Jewfish in your aquarium:

soflgal-209399-albums-more-old-photos-pic75207-jewfish-late-40s.jpg

That's awesome Paul! Wish I had the chance to do that. If I remember correctly today you are not even allowed to take one out of the water. You must catch and release in the water much like sailfin fishing. I know this is true for Goliath grouper which is in the same family c

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Kevin, when I was down at Big Pine Key and we went out in the boat, we were either spearing for grouper or jew, or looking for coral heads and picking lobster. It got to the point that I was sick of eating lobster. “How could we cook it tonight?” Believe me, I’ve had lobster every which way you could cook it. Back then the only “limit” I can remember is the number of lobster per boat…and that was some ridiculous number….like 25 lobster per boat??? No restriction on fish that I was aware of, or knew of. But then again, this is when there was coral growing like crazy down in Florida. Shortly after I left the State (1974), the coral reefs were decimated.

I'd me more than happy to switch my experiences with your age! :grin:

Kevin, when I was down at Big Pine Key and we went out in the boat, we were either spearing for grouper or jew, or looking for coral heads and picking lobster. It got to the point that I was sick of eating lobster. “How could we cook it tonight?” Believe me, I’ve had lobster every which way you could cook it. Back then the only “limit” I can remember is the number of lobster per boat…and that was some ridiculous number….like 25 lobster per boat??? No restriction on fish that I was aware of, or knew of. But then again, this is when there was coral growing like crazy down in Florida. Shortly after I left the State (1974), the coral reefs were decimated.

I'd me more than happy to switch my experiences with your age! :grin:

Still had to be great memories! Unfortunately we never know what we are doing till it is to late.. Just have to move forward and try to do better.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Jaw fish is one of the most attractive fish in the fishes..I was first time the jaw fish which is very honor for me and thanks to the govertical who saw the jaw fish to me..How much the total length of this jaw fish?

I have a question.. Is there any particular reason one wouldn'nt put some form of top on thier overflow to keep them (and other critters) out of it?