• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jebao RW8's or Vortech MP10's

I got a 60 gallon cube just about ready to start stocking a bunch of stuff in there. I was looking at it the other day and noticed that my Tunze Nano 6045's were realy not doing well with flow inside the tank. I definately had some surface film and and noticed some detrius pockets. While researching my options I came across the JEBAO pumps and figured they might be the PERFECT thing for my tank. I ordered them from ebay (cheaper than fish-street) and closer to me in location (VA vs... CA). They are on their way.

A DAY later I make a offer to someone on 2 MP10's with manufacturer dates of 2010... and they ar the ES versions with wireless. I know ecotech is nearby us here in Jersey and Jebao support might be sketchy. I paid 158 for the RW8's and I would pay 250$ for the MP10's. Which is the better investment?

Currently the 60 gallon is up and running and completely cycled (I added cleanup crew to start snacking on some of the ugly algae but I don't have any other nuisance algae.) 1 viewable side of the 60 Gallon is against a wall which I want to change to place the overflow towards that wall instead.. I didn't consider this until AFTER I had filled up the whole damn thing. I'm probably going to DRAIN it and rotate the tank soon.

I mention this because if I get the vortech's the dry sides might stick out too much towards the wall.

I can only comment on my mp's. I love the 10s I have in addition to the 40s. They are a great addition on my 120 stirring up flow in lower corners that are difficult to move with the 40s. Mine have been service free now for 3 years.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here's my thought process....I'm assuming this is a 2 foot cube tank. I have four MP's, but have not owned a Jebao (yet). What I do with my MP's is to never run them close to 100%. They are known to blow their bearings on the dry side, and I believe running them at 60-70% or less, they are less noisy and last longer. I've done bearing replacement on one of my MP's, and don't want to do it again. Now running them below 100%, I don't believe they would be enough for your tank. The Jebaos have more flow (which I probably wouldn't run at 100% as well) and believe they would give you the flow you want. That's my two cents.

Red.. I'm thinking something similiar. Paying more for 2 pumps that are 4 years old. He has mentioned that he has had to replace the bearings on 1 pump last year already. I assume in addition to normal maintenance I can expect to have that cost as well before the summer. I ran 1 MP10 on my frag tank and while it seemed strong enough for the shallow frag tank I don't think I could ever run it 100% and deal with the noise. I think I might pass on the MP10's for those 2 reasons. The RW8's with positionable and configurable position heads also seem like the better bet with more options for placement (being internal)

since you are speaking long term, i think the fact that you can rebuild the mp's should steer you into that direction.

I feel like vorrechs are nearing end of life in favour of something with a smaller motor driver and better designed internals for quieter operation. I think they are probably due for a refresh but won't budge until the offerings from apex and tunze are known.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2 RW4's on my 30G frag tank. They offer more then enough flow for the tank, I imagine that RW8's would do the same for you. the fact that you can position them how you want was one of the deciding factors for me. As far as the MP-10's go the age would concern me. 5 years, and who knows for sure how many owners. Also something to think about is the fact that its only a matter of time before the cost of a new MP-10 comes down just like the 40's. IMO the RW-8 would be where I go.

If the patent expires on the current pumps then will we see other manufacturers using the same vortech design or if they release a "quietdrive" feature can they renew the patent again?

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
go for the RW8's

i would not touch a 5 year old MP10 unless it was given to me for FREE.

honestly, you're better off with one RW8 and RW4 to supplement for that size of a tank. 24x24x2(0/4)

Also, the new controllers for the Jebao are pretty good and you can sync them. if you want more precise control, Jebao offers an APEX module.

Jebao even has a battery backup option now too.

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
If you already ordered the RW-8s there's no rush to go out and spend more money on pumps you may not need. Wait for the next generation to come out and make your decision then. If it helps I have a pair of RW-20s in a 225 and am very happy with the flow and the controllers. They are very quiet and so far seem reliable , but time will tell with that. I bought them from FishStreet on there Black Friday sale for %22 off so the price was not that bad.