• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jellyfish

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Looked into it a few months back as I was looking into dwarf horses. They need minimal to no light (though LEDs are fine and accenuate the colors), need a constant gentle flow to bring food to them (like seahorses), are extremely sensitive to parameter changes (minor rise in ammonia could be trouble), need a constant (multiple doses a day) supply of food mixture incorporating living pods/plankton/krill (so you should have small farms going), and have a generally short lifespan of 6-12 months (1 day if tank is not accomodating, and sometimes it takes a casualty or two/three to adjust).
The earlier tanks from 2011 or so were terrible, there was a kickstarter ART that failed miserably post production (probably as much due to design as unskilled keepers). A proven quality tank will still run over $1000, which is where the CUBICS fit in. The ORBITS are relatively new and fall in at $400-500 with a lot of initial success stories.
I ditched the idea of the dwarf horses as I don't want to have the trouble of maintaining a krill farm daily. But jellyfish may be a possibility due to the ease of raising pods and plankton*. Going to do some research over the next few months myself and may eventually go for a tank over the mantle.
If I were to do this now, I'd probably go with an Orbit tank, this recent generation seems to have considered all the mistakes of its predecessors, including the ability to incorporate a cooler into the unit (as Jfish like the 70).
If you're considering, start raising phyto and pods first, then start the Jfish after you have a solid food supply on hand. Usually purchased phyto or pods has a very low amount of long time refrigerated stock at a premium price.
If you want to start right away I can give you some pods/plankton until you get your own stuff up and running.

* Growing Phytoplankton at home | NJ Reef Club
(Pods are easy, just drop a starter into a container of water, add the phyto you cultivated, harvest weekly)

We actually won a tank (jellyfish art) at MACNA, but have not had the energy to set it up yet. JellyfishArt is culturing jellys, making this a far more practical option than a few years ago. Coral magazine had an article on this a few months ago, i will see if I can dig it up for you.