• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jenkinson's Aquarium Behind the scenes - January 6th, 9:30 preregistration

I note that Jenkinson's Aquarium recently remodeled the upstairs area. It now houses an enclosure for the sloth, Wally. This coming Saturday they have a behind the scenes tour where you can see how they run their giant tanks. We did this over 5 years ago as a club but some of you might be interested.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Heya Mark, LTNS, we're running low on Mark's of late.
Guessing this is a public offering and not a club offering.
May very well be there.

radiata

NJRC Member
How does one get notice of these behind-the-scene's tours? Is there a Jenkinson's mailing list?

My favorite behind-the-scenes tour was at Coney Island. They had a walkway running over the shark tank. The smell of ammonia was almost enough to completely knock you off of the walkway...

My second favorite behind-the-scenes tour was at the Mystic Aquarium in CT, a good 25++ years ago, while traveling to Nantucket with my family to visit a sister. We had no pre-arranged behind-the-scenes tour. Mystic just happened to have a small (30G+?) aquarium on display with a few clownfish and anemones. The display totally blew me away! They actually had their anemones and clowns swaying back and forth as if they were in a strong alternating current. I accosted an aquarium hostess asking about how they had accomplished this feat. She said "wait a moment" and disappeared into a door leading into the aquarium's interior. She came back with Richard Segedi. I recognized the name ~ he had written articles for Drum and Croaker, which was a periodical subscribed to by public aquarium professionals. Richard kindly showed me his creation from the inside. He had accomplished the water movement using a large wooden paddle attached to a one horse power electric motor. It would take a modern day hobbyist's "aquarium controller" to match this feat today.

FWIW, I Googled Richard when writing this. There is a 2015 reference to the Niagara Aquarium which reads "50 years ago, a small group of scientists founded the [Niagara] aquarium to demonstrate artificial seawater. Hailed as an "Inland Ocenarium", this institution was the first ever to maintain sea life exclusively using synthetic seawater. Trade named Instant Ocean, this sophisticated culture medium was developed by William E. Kelley and Richard Segedi which is still mixed on-site and used today."

How does one get notice of these behind-the-scene's tours? Is there a Jenkinson's mailing list?

My favorite behind-the-scenes tour was at Coney Island. They had a walkway running over the shark tank. The smell of ammonia was almost enough to completely knock you off of the walkway...

My second favorite behind-the-scenes tour was at the Mystic Aquarium in CT, a good 25++ years ago, while traveling to Nantucket with my family to visit a sister. We had no pre-arranged behind-the-scenes tour. Mystic just happened to have a small (30G+?) aquarium on display with a few clownfish and anemones. The display totally blew me away! They actually had their anemones and clowns swaying back and forth as if they were in a strong alternating current. I accosted an aquarium hostess asking about how they had accomplished this feat. She said "wait a moment" and disappeared into a door leading into the aquarium's interior. She came back with Richard Segedi. I recognized the name ~ he had written articles for Drum and Croaker, which was a periodical subscribed to by public aquarium professionals. Richard kindly showed me his creation from the inside. He had accomplished the water movement using a large wooden paddle attached to a one horse power electric motor. It would take a modern day hobbyist's "aquarium controller" to match this feat today.

FWIW, I Googled Richard when writing this. There is a 2015 reference to the Niagara Aquarium which reads "50 years ago, a small group of scientists founded the [Niagara] aquarium to demonstrate artificial seawater. Hailed as an "Inland Ocenarium", this institution was the first ever to maintain sea life exclusively using synthetic seawater. Trade named Instant Ocean, this sophisticated culture medium was developed by William E. Kelley and Richard Segedi which is still mixed on-site and used today."
Go to Jenkinson's aquarium website. (jenkinsons.com/aquarium I think). Search for events under the Adoption, Encounters and Programs pull down menu and it shows when they are. The next is February 4th. They usually do one a month during the winter. You find a phone number on the web site and they will transfer you to the Education department where you register. tel:7328920600 The last one was sold out and I didn't get in.

p.s. I am looking to go with someone the Long Island aquarium sometime to see the giant Reef aquarium. The name has changed and don't recall what is now. I can't drive through NYC.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Go to Jenkinson's aquarium website. (jenkinsons.com/aquarium I think). Search for events under the Adoption, Encounters and Programs pull down menu and it shows when they are. The next is February 4th. They usually do one a month during the winter. You find a phone number on the web site and they will transfer you to the Education department where you register. tel:7328920600 The last one was sold out and I didn't get in.

p.s. I am looking to go with someone the Long Island aquarium sometime to see the giant Reef aquarium. The name has changed and don't recall what is now. I can't drive through NYC.
I can drive through NYC but don't like to.