• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jenkinsons' Aquarium, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ

I went in yesterday with low expectations.

Conversation that transpired between me and the touch tank worker.

me: "why are those horseshoe crabs on their back"?

Her:"THAT IS HOW THEY SWIM"

I dunno what it was - but her authoritative way of saying this ticked me off to no end :mad:. My wife grabbed me and said "let's go" because she knew I was going to go ballistic.

Anyways - like I said - low expectations. :p

Hey Dude, Like she was probably up drinking till 3:00 AM, you cant expect much from cheep summer help. unfortunately most people who "go to da shore ::)" on the weekend, wouldn't know the difference. :( With any luck she will change her major and become a clerk at WaWa ;D

john90009

NJRC Member
The aquariums there are awful, their coral tank couldn't support lps or sps when i was there, only nice things when i went there was that exotic animals. Id rather go and see other members reef tank's any day, i will never spend money to go thee again.I went during the winter and the employes didnt know what a monti cap was or button/palythoas were(and the whole tank was overrun by them)

I stopped by the atlantic city aquarium and I was kinda shocked by the quality of their tanks as well. The coral tank was average compared to a lot of memebers tanks. They did have an arrow crab species tank that I would love to donate mine to since it is getting really big. (he has a span over 8 inches now)

I guess after seeing the baltimore aquarium's anemone tank and their coral tanks it is hard to compare so far. I have yet to hit up the Adventure Aquarium.

I live down the street from Jenks Aquarium and I never stepped foot in the place. I remember a few years ago they tried to get a liquor license but the town declined the request. Thank god that didn't happen.

I guess the staff is drinking

I guess things have changed. We had a meeting there a few years ago and it was an enjoyable experience. They gave us a backstage tour and the person conducting it was very knowledgeable.

They do don't have a lot of space focused on reefs and keeping demanding sticks isn't what I would expect to see in a public aquarium. So from the perspective of many of our SPS keepers, very few public aquariums are going to please. To see really cool SPS I agree, most will be happier seeing other members tanks, with the exception of mine. ;D

There were 3 horseshoe crabs - one rightside up - the other two on their backs. She even picked up the one on it's back to show a kid -then put it back on it's back. ???

I realize it's a summer job - but it would be like getting a job walking dogs and insisting that the dog use cat litter.

I will give a thumbs up to the girl who narrated the penguin feeding. She was very knowledgable and did not give lame responses when questioned. My daughter wanted to know how they drink water. Penguins don't - they absorb freshwater thru their prey and excrete the salt residue. Anyone ever see "Happy Feet" - the penguins are zombie-like at feeding too! They stand by the door an hour before feeding and just stare. Freaky!

N

njstillwell

The gator area is the best about 10 yards long and 5 feet wide,With 3 gators in it amazing. But from what it used to be to now its a complete 180. Its really not that bad being it is supported by beer drinking Bennie's and pizza slices.They just got their approval from some big aquarium society last year, cant remember the acronym for it. Pretty neat the seals they are saving from shark attacks off the jersey shore. And yes they do hire local help, because have you ever seen a marine biologist hourly rate. Didn't think so,a head marine biologist handles that place, and she is a tough woman.Probably put you in your place :eek: ::).

They went downhill. It's a good place for people who don't know what their looking at and don't know what a reef tank should look like

Nickjr000 said:
They went downhill. It's a good place for people who don't know what their looking at and don't know what a reef tank should look like
like most of the retards that are in that area during the summer

Gecko said:
I live down the street from Jenks Aquarium and I never stepped foot in the place. I remember a few years ago they tried to get a liquor license but the town declined the request. Thank god that didn't happen.

I guess the staff is drinking

I also stopped by the atlantic city aquarium and to my dismay the coral tanks were very dissapointing. I inquired about the lighting and they do have enough to grow sps.
I was wondering given that we are a conservation site, If within the members of the community we could sponsor a nice tank at one of these aquariums. A few pieces from the member tanks should be more than enough to get one these tanks going.

What would happen is they wouldn't properly care for anything that we donate and it would die off. I think lack of maintenance, and knowledge is the problem with this place. With the equipment the place has they can probably keep a lot of stuff. But without the right care it won't last. Sad cause it has the potential be a really nice local place