• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jgraz's 90g

After about 2.5 years away I'm coming back in with a less overwhelming system.

Going with a 90RR tank, 40B DIY sump, and DIY stand. I'm planning this to closely mirror my previous 90 setup with a few minor changes. Tank is purchased as is most of the equipment at this point. Starting the stand tomorrow.
Updates forthcoming.
828b02ad4c571f6969934006b4400df2.jpg
7d7d31f254a8efd6b2b2ae3da0cf4766.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Welcome back! What equipment did you go with?
Thanks Mike.
Plan at the moment is to use a 40B for sump. I've been doing some collecting over the last couple of months and so far I have the following ready to go.
Spectrapure RODI
Aquaticlife booster
6x54 ATI Sunpower
SWC 160 Cone skimmer
Neptune Apex EL
MP40-QD
Jebao DCP-6500
And about 140 lbs of various sizes of BRS Reef Saver(way more then I can possibly use). I think that's it for now but I have some things on the Christmas list as well.

I'm planning on a heavy SPS system similar to what I had before. But I'll leave some room for some other stuff too. Not exactly sure how I'm going to handle flow yet. I'm either going with two MP-40's or only one and a Gyre(or equivalent) on the opposite side.

and it begins! can't wait to see this up and running.
Should be a relatively slow build. I dont plan I getting it wet until at least mid February, but you know how that goes. Wouldn't be surprised if I had water flowing for New Year's.

So had to change up the stand a bit.
I had the idea to rip the 2x4's to 3" to take the curve out and make a nice square edge. The trimming seemed to go fine, however when I assembled i noticed some of the boards were not completely square. I noticed it, but I guess didnt seem to pay it any mind. Well after assembly I noticed some left to right play in the stand. Turns out the ripping went worse then I thought. There was up to 1/8" difference in some of the flats. Turns out the saw blade on the borrowed table saw has some play in it. So I had to redo the top and bottom. This time with unadulterated 2x4's.
Lesson learned.
Final framing done and ready for primer. This time it's rock solid.
95485cb1b9d6c72af32f1e43283bed66.jpg

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Any updates on the stand, tank or diy sump? I am planning to use a spare 40B as a sump and would love to see posts on how you did your when you get around to doing it. Happy New Year!

Any updates on the stand, tank or diy sump? I am planning to use a spare 40B as a sump and would love to see posts on how you did your when you get around to doing it. Happy New Year!
Little movement on the stand.
Almost done skinning it. Finished up the doors today and I'll give it a once over for sanding then I'll start to stain.
4c8437c73ed5ea2d20a47feade3e9279.jpg
319dcca78808686b646e47b415e8d60d.jpg

As for the sump, I have built it yet but these are the plans I using. I used the same in my last 90g system and it worked great. Doesn't leave any room under the stand though so be prepared to get creative when I come to extra equipment like dosing canisters and the like.
a69958bf5428e0883fa9ecb436b736f8.jpg

It has I ton of room in the center for a refugium and if you wanted a good depth sand bed.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Thanks for the posts! The stand is looking awesome. Thanks for the diagram. I look forward to seeing it all come together.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Dude amazing. Tale of the tank!!!!! How did you get that awesome paint finish.

Did you use poly? Spray gun.

Details