• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Johns 28 Nanocube LED

Hi everyone,
Its been a while since Ive been on here, and Ive also been out of the game for about 2 years (wow) so figured Id start my tale a little early to get some suggestions/comments going. I recently picked up a 28 nanocube intermediate led. I had great success with my original 24dx and I wanted a tank that didnt require the larger maintenance/water changes like my 75 reef had. I went intermediate instead of pro mostly because I only really wanted soft corals, which adds to the easiness factor IMO. Im mostly thinking zoos and the exotic acans I loved in the old tank. Light fish load, a pair of clowns and a helfrichs firefish, probably a blenny or goby as well. I picked up a new RODI and have tons of old rock from the tank.
Ive heard good things about the water movement from the 2 return pumps in the new cubes, so I may not need another powerhead in there. Well see how it goes. An MP10 would probably work best if needed considering the space available inside the tank.
If anyone has any mods or suggestions about the newer nanocubes, please feel free to post them. I havent been able to find much in terms of issues with the tank either, so any personal experience help too. Im looking forward to enjoying this hobby again, I started a business and have not had much time in terms of stress relief, I remember how relaxing it was looking into the tank.
I was also wondering if anyone keeps artwork near their tank. I will need to move one print since the tank will block a lower part of it, but one next to it will end up being about a foot away from the tank. They are professionally framed with museum glass if it matters.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome back John! Is that a JBJ28 by chance? And where are the pictures. A tale isn't a tale unless there are pictures! And finally, what's an "intermediate" LED versus "pro," I'm not familiar with that.

howze01

NJRC Member
John! Welcome back buddy!! Wish I still had some of those great Z's and P's I got from you years ago to share back to you but I am tankless now. Can't wait to see the new set up!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Welcome back John. We just added one of these for our 12g, but they make ones for all sized tanks. They also have a ton of stuff that is nano specifc and some really smart things like the curved corner scraper that is awesome for AIO nanos. http://www.mediabaskets.com/

Thanks for the warm welcome, nice to see some familiar names. The intermediate nanocube is only about 27w of LED light, while the Pro is 89w, but they still have the same features dual return pumps etc.and I think wavemaker... Ill have to check on that last one. Theres also about a $350 difference. I went a little nuts last summer and picked up a really nice 60 cube with stand and sump from Ocean Gallery, at a great deal, but unfortunately right now its serving as my flat file for artwork waiting to be framed haha. A shame I know. Besides the time factor, I need about 10 more outlets in my basement for it to work, hence why I pulled the trigger on something more manageable and hopefully can run on a 6 spot surge protector. Supposed to be delivered tomorrow by noon so will hopefully have a project for Sunday. Im now remembering the endless little things I forgot to order, algae scraper (thanks Mnat) test kits bc of course mine are expired by now, nets, calibrate my scope etc. Really, really, really wish I kept the RKL and MP10 rightaboutnow. Is it a good thing or bad thing I now live around the block from Absolutely Fish?
Is everyone still using live rock, macro and purigen in the rear area? Or should I leave all of the rock in the display?

howze01

NJRC Member
I remember that 60 cube at OG!! I really liked that tank....

I had rock in the rear chamber of my AIO and I have to say it was nothing but a pain. Taking it all out to clean in there, rescuing the occasional fish from it.... Just much easier to leave the rock in the DT IMO.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I remember that 60 cube at OG!! I really liked that tank....

I had rock in the rear chamber of my AIO and I have to say it was nothing but a pain. Taking it all out to clean in there, rescuing the occasional fish from it.... Just much easier to leave the rock in the DT IMO.

Big +1 to this. We have had our nano up and running now since November of 2008 and have tried just about everything our there that will fit in the back chamber. The worst things were the filter pad and live rock. All they do is trap detritus and really just hurt your tank. We put the media basket in and have filter floss on the top, chemipure in the middle and the bottom one is empty for now. The filter floss is key as it sits on top and grabs all the gunk which we just throw out with our weekly water changes, it is simple easy and cheap way to keep the tank clean. We use chemipure elite, but purigen is also a very popular choice so it really depends on your preference. A small bag of carbon can also be helpful. If you can get one of the submersible fuge lights, you can run some chaeto. You have many more options because your tank is bigger. There are skimmers and bio pellet reactors that are now made to fit in the back chambers of those AIO tanks (check out CAD lights).

Thanks for the ideas, will keep the rock in the display. Also need to add filter floss to the list. I figured Ill be waiting until next week anyway for a delivery if I order from InTank or any other online source, so I may try to find them locally this weekend. Speaking of delivery, UPS left my tank and supplies on my front steps in broad view all day today, I just got home. I specifically noted leave at back door on every foster smith area I could. Label facing out so everyone knew exactly what it was. Besides the front door issue, they balanced the tank on the lowest step against the door with salt and sand on top holding it down. When I took it off with the door open, it started to roll off the step, but I caught it. Great start. Gonna put it together over the weekend.....probably tonight ha.

Nice to see you back at it John hows clifton treatin you bud spoke with Bryce not so long ago lol anyhow hows the shop brotha if u need anything just hit me up always willing to help an old friend btw its Jae aka jr973 just useing a new name on some of these other boards

Whats up Jae nice to hear from you. So far so good at the shop, been pretty busy so cant complain.
Right now rock and sand are in the tank and started cycling yesterday. Pics to come soon once it clears up a little more. Really liking the LED, fans dont make it too loud and it gets great water movement with the pump controller. The water brought the lighting down a little so its not so bright in the basement. Cant wait to get some goods in there! Dr Foster Smith have been outstanding so far, the lost sand package was refunded and theyre replacing my RODI which was leaking, so thats due in soon.

Waking this thread up a little. Things have been going well in the tank. I had an algae issue for a while once I started adding fish, so was working on getting my parameters in check. I went with an Aquamaxx HOB skimmer and have been very impressed. Its surprisingly quiet, and it really cleaned the tank up. I had to mod it a little so I could open the hood easily, my only other complaint would be the micro bubbles I have when my return kicks on. Im considering slowing that pump down to slow the flow from the skimmer right down into the pump intake. Right now the stock list is a pair of Picasso clowns, a yellow banded possum wrasse, and a ruby red dragonet. I ordered a few stunner strips to try and get the lighting closer to 20k, but Im fearing that I may not have room for the 3 6w strips. Im a little disappointed with the colors from the factory lights, I was looking at the rapidled replacements, if anyone has used them let me know what you think.

Waking this thread up a little. Things have been going well in the tank. I had an algae issue for a while once I started adding fish, so was working on getting my parameters in check. I went with an Aquamaxx HOB skimmer and have been very impressed. Its surprisingly quiet, and it really cleaned the tank up. I had to mod it a little so I could open the hood easily, my only other complaint would be the micro bubbles I have when my return kicks on. Im considering slowing that pump down to slow the flow from the skimmer right down into the pump intake. Right now the stock list is a pair of Picasso clowns, a yellow banded possum wrasse, and a ruby red dragonet. I ordered a few stunner strips to try and get the lighting closer to 20k, but Im fearing that I may not have room for the 3 6w strips. Im a little disappointed with the colors from the factory lights, I was looking at the rapidled replacements, if anyone has used them let me know what you think.
Glad to hear you got the algae under control and hope the frags you got from me are doing well for you as for the led stripes I sure do hope u can mod the hood and make them fit