• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jumping in Again

Squirrel

NJRC Member
So I have TONS of, what I believe are, copepods and rotifers (guessing on rotifers based on Google searches) in my tank all of a sudden. They helped completely clear my tank of all diatoms in about 2 days. The only nuisance I've noticed is that my water column is full of "dust" looking things which are actually swimming around but it makes it kind of hazy looking.

My question is, should I use them to seed my other tanks?

20230926_220422.jpg

Last edited:

Squirrel

NJRC Member
The tanks are doing good still. I added a number of corals that I got from a member on here (thanks @Stephen8169301 , sorry you had to break you tank down brother). Everything seems to be adjusting well so far.

I did notice today that two of my hammers were fighting and burning each other so I had to separate the kids. Hopefully they recover their burned areas pretty quickly.

Pics are meh but they do the trick for documentation.
20230926_164023.jpg
20230926_164247.jpg
20230926_164211.jpg
IMG_20230927_112808.jpg

Squirrel

NJRC Member
I'm starting to brainstorm ideas for setting up my bigger tanks. My goal is three tanks plumbed into one system. I'm picturing reefs on either side of a display refugium. Right now I could have a 4' 120g on either side of my 90 cube. I've attached a pretty bad drawing of what I'm thinking

My question right now is, what is the suggested sump size for a 340g system . I will also need a stand made so I want the sump size taken into consideration

20231004_170309.jpg

Squirrel

NJRC Member
Well not much has changed with the tanks, which is a good thing. Here is a basic rundown.
- Rick is doing well. He is quite personable and a model citizen. I do need more live pods.
- Mike (the bicolor blenny) and Jim (cleaner shrimp) are doing swimmingly in the 10g.
- I'm slowly dialing in best placement for the corals.
- A few new heads of zoas have started to form.
- I glued the GSP to the back wall, I've always enjoyed, and wanted, that full wavey wall look.<shrug>
- I had to separate the euphyllia garden, the hammers started not playing nicely together. A little room to spread out and everyone is back to being well mannered.
- I have some mushrooms that are beginning to split.

I think that's about it for the main tanks.

I moved my extra rock and threw the light in the stand without thinking and accidentally made what I thought could be a cool Halloween theme tank. Not sure how I'd do it but it looked cool.

Yay picture time!

IMG_20231006_165417.jpg IMG_20231006_165333.jpg 20231004_220331.jpg 20231004_152709.jpg

Squirrel

NJRC Member
Big day today! I put in an order for all the missing equipment that I need to get the 120 up and going. Hopefully by next Friday I should have all the hardware I need to begin to get this tank started! Am I missing anything or any feedback/reviews on any of the equipment listed? I would like to avoid any pitfalls if possible.
  • Perfecto 4' 120g
  • 2x XR30 Pro G4
  • 7 Stage 200 GPD RO/DI
  • CPR CS100 overflow
  • Triton 44 V2 sump
  • 2x Nero 7 powerheads
  • Reef Octopus Classic 202-S skimmer
  • 2x 300W Heaters
  • Vectra L2 return pump
  • Apex A3 Pro
I have decided to start with just one of the 120g for now. I have quite a bit more finishing work to do in the basement before I start building a bigger system.

Squirrel

NJRC Member
Woohoo the tank still holds water! It has been a terrarium for quite a while so I just wanted to make sure that everything was still copasetic. I'll be setting this tank up peninsula style which will be a first for me so any advice or suggestions are welcome.

I got notice that all of my stuff has been shipped and should be delivered early next week so even better!

20231013_164004.jpg

Last edited:

Squirrel

NJRC Member
Picked up 200 lbs of live sand today. I'm hoping to at least get the sand, most of the rock that I have (I'll probably need more I'm guessing), and at least enough water to cover the rocks tomorrow.

I'm getting excited!

Squirrel

NJRC Member
I have sand and a 3/4 tank full of saltwater!

Unfortunately I also have crazy cloudiness from the silt in the sand so no rock in the tank yet. I have a filter going which is helping immensely to clear it up. I'll get the rock and the rest of the hardware situated tomorrow hopefully.

20231016_214759.jpg

Last edited:

Squirrel

NJRC Member
Looks like the FX6 will have to stay on this tank for a little while longer due to some oops decisions on my side. No biggie, I'm not in a rush. Here's where I am now:
  • I have never used RO/DI water in any of my tanks before so the wait for this water to pump out of the system is pretty painful. I'm done complaining about this now.
  • The sump and skimmer are just a wee bit bigger than I thought they were going to be.
  • I didn't look at my stand to see if said sump and skimmer would fit before I bought them. *Spoiler alert* Not gonna happen.
Even though I said these are oopses, I don't feel they're bad things. Positive mistakes. There are now logistics that I have to think about in terms of where to locate stuff and how to best plumb it but there are much worse issues to have. I guess I should try to make stuff look decent now since it'll have to be out of the stand. <shrug>

Here are some pics. I'm sure the rockwork will be adjusted at least a dozen times before I'm happy with it.

20231017_123146.jpg

20231017_153214.jpg20231017_153233.jpg20231017_153230.jpg20231017_153222.jpg20231017_153206.jpg20231017_153158.jpg

Last edited:

Squirrel

NJRC Member
I have a tank full of water and my corals have been moved over! I moved everything from my 40g into the 120g, and everything in the 10g into the 40g.

I'm pleased with how stuff turned out. Now it's just a matter of fine tuning the best placement of the corals and getting the sump set up.

I'm planning on building a small stand for the sump and doing my best to make it presentable. It's all still up for change though.

Picture time. First three are the 120, the last one is the 40g now.
20231019_172103.jpg20231019_172148.jpg

20231019_172134.jpg
20231019_172240.jpg

Last edited:

Squirrel

NJRC Member
Not a lot has changed with the tank yet. I'm planning on getting the sump up and running this week so that'll be nice.

I am a huge fan of natural looking scapes, the type of scape that I see when I go out diving. With this is mind, I decided to add the macro algae to the display part of the tank (we'll see if it sticks or not). I don't want the macros to over-take the display so I'll have to trim them up on a semi-regular basis once they hit their stride. A local reefer gave me the good size kenya tree colony and some bounce mushrooms. If you know what kind of bounce mushrooms they are please let me know. Once the mushrooms attach to some rubble I'll get them into the tank.

I'm not super happy with the mounting of my lights so I have a multi fixture track coming to help alleviate the leaning. That should be here by the end of the month.

Now onto the more enjoyable part. I still have to clean the glass so please don't hold that against me.

20231023_130745.jpg20231023_130946.jpg20231023_131520.jpg20231023_131126.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The mushrooms look like "sunkist" Style bounce shrooms, pretty hardy and grow pretty well.

Squirrel

NJRC Member
The tank is fully alive and functioning now. I was able to get the sump plumbed yesterday and everything seems to be good to go (one super tiny droplet per hour leak at the bulkhead to fix but it's not bad at all). The skimmer is already pulling stuff out and the micro bubbles have calmed way down. I still have the cable management to do but I want to make sure I do that right and in a way that isn't going to drive me bonkers over time. I also upgraded my lights to Radion Pro G6.

I was able to get a number of corals from one of my wholesalers which was awesome. They are all in great shape and doing wonderfully. I have to figure out a different spot to put my loose mushrooms, they aren't liking it where I have them in the refugium right now. Granted the light on the refugium sucks currently and they are still in the hang on chamber so the flow in there is probably dismal. I'll work on them tomorrow.

I'm thinking of fragging out the big torches and selling some of them. They are a hellfire (14 heads) and a dragon soul (7 head). Both are beautiful.

Some of the pictures and pretty bad quality but they get the point across.

Enjoy.

20231101_151348.jpg20231101_151920.jpgTorches.jpgChalice.jpgTurquoise Chalice.jpgRaja Rampage Chalice.jpg20231025_170358.jpgHydnaphora.jpgIndo Orange Eye Pectinia.jpg