• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jumping into SW... Looking for advice/build critque

So after ~10 years of freshwater planted, discus, livebearers, and freshwater shrimp, I am finally taking the jump into starting up a reef tank. CADlights gave me a deal I could not say no to on the Versa 42 back at MACNA, and I have been trying to research the best plan and equipment since then.

Please let me know what you think of my equipment list, and any pointers/items needed going forward would be greatly appreciated.

Have Now -
Tank: Cadlights Versa 42g (30"X 18"X 18")
Sump: Cadlights 16gal
Return Pump: Cadlights included 500 gph return, may upgrade after I get things started
Light: Kessil A360WE mounted on gooseneck
Heater: Aqueon 150w

Plan to purchase -
Powerhead - Vortech MP10QD wireless
ATO - Tunze 3155 with some sort of resevoir
Kessil Spectra Controller
Skimmer - Eshopps S120

Still undecided on -
Dry Rock
Test Kit
Refractometer

I will be purchasing my SW from a LFS who is very good, so for now I am not going to worry about RO/Salt.

I've been doing a ton of reading, but feel like I've barely cracked the surface. Am I missing anything super important? I'd rather plan things out and spend the money to do it right the first time, so this tank is coming together very slowly. Once I have my plan all figured out, I am going to have to start a tale of the tank.... thanks for reading!

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Welcome aboard!

For a manual test kit I'd go for the Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro. You can also go with Hanna Checkers for alkalinity and phosphate (I've heard their Calcium checker isn't that accurate).

Refract go with the Milwaukee MA887. Arguably the best $ I spent on this hobby (you can find it on sale for $80 every so often).

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Personally i went with a regular refractometer, just get 35ppt calibration fluid and use it each time before you use the refractometer, i think the one i have costs me 30 bucks. My only issue with the milwaukee is that may not be one, is the margin of error that can be had with it. I'm not sure how much the discrepancy can be, i remember reading someplace up to .002 + or -, not positive if that is correct or not though, where as a refractometer with a fluid set to a known standard will read just about perfectly when calibrated. I use red sea for my testing for alk, calc and mag. Your whole setup looks like it will be very nice, as for rock, i go with dry rock for two reasons. One, you can control what enters your system, no hitchhikers, two is you can keep the rock out of water and aquascape with it and not have to stress about keeping it out too long if you have to mold anything together. Although, i would admit, it would be nice to get a nice amount of live rock and set a tank up that way with a bunch of hitch hikers, just for a neat array of wildlife in the tank, and then add inhabitants that are compatible with anything that shows up.

Thanks for the input, guys!

That Milwaukee digital refract does look enticing. Seeing as I am getting the water from a trusted local LFS, I am not sure how much that will be necessary immediately.

As far as rock goes, I am planning to get dry rock from Reef Cleaners and then get a few small pieces of live rock locally to seed the tank. I am not sure how much this will lengthen the cycle, or if I will just have to be careful with what I add to the tank while the bacteria spreads and seeds the dry rock. I do not want to go all live rock for cost and fear of getting some crazy pest that makes me break down the whole tank.

I have to say SW is more intimidating than any of the tanks I have done so far, and I have had some pretty finicky/expensive live stock. One of my last endeavors was a Taiwan Bee freshwater shrimp tank. They are very delicate creatures (I had a bacteria infection wipe out a third in about a week), but also very lucrative buggers. The proceeds from that system allowed me to RAOK my old tank and stand to club members at nj aquatic gardeners, and get the jump on this.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Look into Life Rock as well. Its man made and pre seeded. You just put it in the tank while cycling. I used 40 pounds of it along with 20-30 pound of dry rock and it works very well. Currently cycling some now for a new build.

Sound like you've got a wealth of freshwater experience and patience that can come in handy.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Welcome abroad. You'll love SW for the endless frustrations. So don't expect to do everything right the first time then you'll be fine. Do get the parameters of the new SW from the LFS. Sometimes the numbers could be all over the place depending on the salt used. ATO is a must and Tunze is a good choice. It takes a while for the tank to get established and full of life. So don't stock anything expensive for a while.

What do you plan to keep?